Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Nancy boy and namby-pamby
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nancy boy and namby-pamby Login/Join

posted
In two separate recent threads:
quote:
nancy boy: a slightly dated insult calling someone effeminate or homosexual.
namby-pamby: the British usage would be more akin to weak, half-hearted or ineffectual.
Careful distinctions: What sort of thing could be called one but not the other, or the other but not the one?

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I suppose if you weren't sure you were a nancy boy you'd be namby-pamby.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:

Being a Nancy in real life, I object! To whom can I write a mean letter? Wink

"Nancy" comes from the Hebrew name "Ann," which means "grace." Apparently "Nancy" was a nickname until the 18th century. I couldn't believe the dearth of famous Nancys on that site: Nancy Reagan, Nancy Kerrigan, and Nancy Mitford. Roll Eyes

The online OED says that nancy boy was first used in 1927. They called it a synonym of "fairy" and "poof." Poof??? Then they mentioned "Toto fellow???"

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
There's a whole town in France called Nancy! Ain't no Jessicas or Buffys!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
quote:

Being a Nancy in real life, I object! To whom can I write a mean letter? Wink

"Nancy" comes from the Hebrew name "Ann," which means "grace." Apparently "Nancy" was a nickname until the 18th century. I couldn't believe the dearth of famous Nancys on that site: Nancy Reagan, Nancy Kerrigan, and Nancy Mitford. Roll Eyes

The online OED says that nancy boy was first used in 1927. They called it a synonym of "fairy" and "poof." Poof??? Then they mentioned "Toto fellow???"

Poof is another common offensive term for male homosexual over here, maybe the commonest. It's still in current use. I never heard the term "toto fellow".

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Have other Americans heard of "poof?" What is the origin of that?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just to confuse things further, here in the NE of England it's "puff"! As in "Yu caalin me a puff?"!

Posts: 153 | Location: South Shields, England.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I first heard poof back in the early '70s: Monty Python's Flying Circus when it was first run on PBS in the States. There's also an augmented form, pooftah (sp?).

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
"poof?" What is the origin of that?
here in the NE of England it's "puff"!
OED says that 'poof' probably is is a corrupted form of 'puff'. This would imply that 'puff' in this sense predates 'poof'. The difficulty is that it does not appear until almost half a century after.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
There's also an augmented form, pooftah (sp?).
I have seen it spelt like that, but probably the more common spelling is poofter.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
"Nancy boy" is used in Harry Potter. The first book, Uncle Vernon Dursley said he didn't want his "ickle Dudders" to be a "nancy boy".

I didn't realize panbies were "nanby". I always thought it was mamby.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Graham Nice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Johansen:
Just to confuse things further, here in the NE of England it's "puff"! As in "Yu caalin me a puff?"!

But don't you pronounce it in exactly the same way?

Anyway, my favourite euphemism for this came up recently when an aquaintance was asked whether he had a wife. He replied, "No, No, No. I bat for the other side."

Posts: 382 | Location: CambridgeReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
I first became aware of "poofter" while listening to a CD of The Cories, a Scottish group, singing their great takeoff on "Ghost Riders in the Sky," "The Portree Kid," the last line of whose refrain sounds like "The pooftah, 'e came fra' Skye."
A friend from the UK had to translate that for us.

"Nancy Boy" I think I've seen in British novels, but can't cite any examples. Maugham? Forster? I always take that one to mean "homosexual."

Another term that seems outdated, but that I've heard in the states, is "pantywaist." I think this one can mean either just effeminate or homosexual.

Then, there's "light in the loafers." Don't know where that one comes from.

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I've seen "pantywaist" in American books, but it's not used over here. I, too get the impression it's outdated slang; an author like Mark Twain might have used the expression. I hasten to add I don't recall him ever having used it, though.

I've never heard of "light in the loafers".

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
The few times I've heard "panty-waist" in the wild, it was an intentional archaism. Pretty much like nancy boy and namby-pamby.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
"Nancy boy" was still going strong here until around the 1950s or 1960s. "Namby-pamby" still in (irregular) use. There's not really a satisfactory alternative for the phrase, particularly if you don't particularly want to insinuate homosexuality. Remember, women can be namby-pamby, too! Cool

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
"Namby-pamby" is equivalent to "wishy-washy" in my understanding. Passive, Milquetoast-ish. Could also be light in the loafers, but more likely just totally without spine.

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I didn't mean to imply that all three were synonymous, but that they were all equally archaic or old-fashioned.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zmjezhd:
I didn't mean to imply that all three were synonymous, but that they were all equally archaic or old-fashioned.

Agreed. The only time I ever heard anybody use the term "pantywaist" in actual conversation was when a grumpy older man in my neighborhood referred to one of the neighborhood kids, a boy who cried easily, as "a kind of a pantywaist." I had to go home and look it up.

posted Hide Post
Looking back at this thread, I expect 'toto fellow' comes from the same place as 'friend of Dorothy'.

Posts: 669 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post