Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Right? Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Have you noticed that a number of people, particularly younger ones, when talking to you often say, "right?" at the end of a sentence. For example, "He should have known that, right?" It's hard to write about it because you really have to hear the tone, right? It's not the same "right?" that people used to say. The tone makes it different.

Not too articulate, am I???

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not too articulate, am I???

Right. Big Grin Also, many people now begin sentences with a conjunction. So is most common, and and is next. See, I did it myself!

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6172 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I hear that usage of 'right' often with my young-adult sons. Sounds to me like nu.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
many people now begin sentences with a conjunction

But, people have been doing that for centuries. Again, not really a matter of grammar but one of convention and punctuation. Often the pause between the end of one clause and the start of the conjunction + clause is longer than a comma or even a period. You see this a lot in older literature.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Also, especially in some forms of Britsh English, a statement ends with "Isn't it?" as a means for the listener to agree.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thus the famous Canadian, "eh?" Mostly stereotypical, but it does happen.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6172 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
We've always used the word right in a confirmatory way, but more recently it has been used more frequently, I think, and with a different tone. It's hard to explain in writing, though it would be easy for me to tell you.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post