Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opposites attract Login/Join

posted
While shopping today, we were discussing the word "spendthrift", which sounds like a person who is thrifty about their spending, when in reality, it is exactly the opposite! According to AHD: "NOUN: One who spends money recklessly or wastefully."

What other words can we think of that might make you think they are opposite their true meaning?

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
I can't come up with further candidates. But it might be very interesting to see each of these words came to have such an "opposed" meaning.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Or cleave which means both.

Posts: 150 | Location: Amsterdam, NetherlandsReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I just don't get the meaning of "spendthrift". It seems like it should mean one who is thrifty! Confused

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Graham Nice
posted Hide Post
Essential Oils - oils that smell which are of no use whatsoever

Posts: 382 | Location: CambridgeReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
I nominate "enervating" as in having the quality of depleting the strength or energy of something or someone.

Some social organizations will have the position "chairman" for the person responsible for setting up all the folding chairs before a meeting, but that's not really the same thing...

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post