Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Introducing myself... Login/Join

posted
I've been lurking for a while, getting the feel for the board, and decided to jump in!

So, as my first post, I'd like to pose a question.

What does "toast sandwich" mean to you? Such were advertised for sale at my local sandwich shop recently...

Ros

Posts: 185 | Location: London, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Welcome, Ros! Another Brit! Big Grin

The phrase "toast sandwich" conjures up for me a vision of two slices of bread with a slice of toast between them -- not a particularly attractive-sounding meal. I suspect they meant a "toasted sandwich", which is, of course, a totally different kettle of fish (or rather, cereal).

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's exactly what toast sandwich means to me too. I've only found a handful of people who agree with me though. Most people seem to think it's a sandwich made with toast instead of bread, or it is a toasted sandwich...

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
I've never heard the phrase before. Is it one of those that's prevalent on one side of the pond only?

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Shufitz! It's not prevalent here either, I think it was just an example of someone not writing what they thought they were writing, and coming up with a different and (as Arnie said) rather unattractive concept!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Welcome, Ros! How exciting to have another Brit! Cool Smile Big Grin Wink Razz And, a woman besides! I am in wordcrafter heaven today. Big Grin

Shufitz is correct that we don't have it here, but I had a different concept. I thought it might be what my dad used to call "toasted cheese sandwich". Now, when I moved to Chicago, everyone called it a "grilled cheese sandwich" and laughed at my term. However, could that be what they meant?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Ros. (Do we outnumber the Yanks yet? Smile)

I think a toast sandwich is rather a good concept; although not logical, it does seem to make sense. How else would one distinguish between a sandwich made with toast, and a sandwich which has been toasted?

Posts: 245 | Location: Surrey, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the far-flung community, Ros.

Regarding toast sandwiches,,

quote:
Such were advertised for sale at my local sandwich shop recently...

Have you thought of asking the proprietor of your local sandwich shop for a detailed description or recipe ?

(( This message comes to you from Hawaii -- formerly known as the Sandwich Islands. ))

[This message was edited by jerry thomas on Wed May 14th, 2003 at 11:03.]

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I have nothing very interesting to add to the toast sandwich debate but I will add my welcome to the board.
Good to have you with us.

Non curo ! Si metrum no habet, non est poema.

Read all about my travels around the world here.
Read even more of my travel writing and poems on my weblog.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with those above. Toast sandwich is probably a mistake on the part of an employee. I would be curious as to how he pronounces it as well! But then again, you Brits do have some strange food over on that side of the pond. Who would think something called a "chip buttie" would be a sandwich!

And welcome to our board Ros! So wonderful to have another Brit, and esepecially another woman, to boot! Big Grin

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
This message comes to you from Hawaii -- formerly known as the Sandwich Islands.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Hawa Iki

The "k" in "iki" has evolved to a glottal stop, represented by "'" as in Hawai'i

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice to meet you all!

Regarding the Earl of Sandwich, the town of Sandwich, in Kent, isn't terribly far from where I grew up. There used to be a wonderful road sign on the way:

Ham
Sandwich

Ham being a town near Sandwich...
Apparently people kept stealing the signs, unsurprisingly.

Ros

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jerry thomas:

The "k" in "iki" has evolved to a glottal stop, represented by "'" as in Hawai'i

So, correct me if I'm wrong, the dance is pronounced wai'i'i and sounds like people getting into a cold bath?

Stephen.

Posts: 150 | Location: Amsterdam, NetherlandsReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
As a one-time-a-week poster (usually, but not always, on Mondays) I often end up running after a train of thought well after it has left the station but allow me to add a belated two cents:

Possibly a "toast sandwich" is one which has been laced with cyanide, as in "Two bites and you're toast!"

(Of course, seeing as how restaurants depend on repeat business, probably not...)

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post