Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    What tree did you fall out of?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What tree did you fall out of? Login/Join

<Proofreader>
posted
Here is a chart that answers that question. But I wonder where the phrase originated.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Is it related to family tree, do you think? Otherwise, I have no idea. I see I fell from a fir tree.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a Walnut. It fits well with my zodiac sign, Scorpio. I'm a difficult jerk in both of them. Roll Eyes

Now who thought this up?

An odd aside: It lists hazelnut trees. Before all the yuppies moved in, Oregonian orchardists grew filberts, a subspecies of hazelnuts. The yuppies didn't like calling them filberts, so, even though the growers still grow filberts, they sell hazelnuts. Damned yuppies. Mad

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6170 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, apple tree.

Filberts

My grandmother always called them filbert nuts. According to the Oregon Dept of Agriculture website:
quote:
Commission's name was changed to the Oregon Hazelnut Commission in 1994 to better position the Oregon Filbert in European markets where the nut was known as hazelnut.
So, it's the double whammy of foreign yuppies. Dread specter, stalking the land, etc. Wink

Damned yuppies.

Well, I guess I'm lucky I'm growing older ... Wink

[Addendum: wasted time fixing a formatting error.]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zmježd,

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't believe you waste so much time and energy on this topic!!!!

Posts: 235 | Location: Portland, OregonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:

It's a dirty job but someone has to do it.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, Z, damned European yuppies. Big Grin

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6170 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Welcome back, Sunflower.

It's interesting how people differ in their preferences for topics here. Some only want the serious, etymological, linguistical, lexicographical type subjects and complain that we are getting too "frivolous." Others complain that we are too serious and want more fun, punny, lighthearted posts. There's room for all, folks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post