Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

agnate and cognate Login/Join

posted
Agnate means related through a common father, whereas cognate means related through a common mother. I see nothing in their etymologies to indicate gender, so how did these gender distinctions occur?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6172 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I see nothing in their etymologies to indicate gender, so how did these gender distinctions occur?

Latin agnatus < agnascor 'born to, belonging to, or connected with by birth; and subst., a blood relation by the father's side (father, son, grandson, etc.; brother, brother's son, brother's grandson, etc.; uncle, cousin, second cousin, etc.); accordingly of more limited signif. than cognatus, which includes blood relations on the mother's side'. Cognatus is related more widely, including the mother's side of the family.

You cannot always see the gender of Latin words. For example pater and mater are both i-stem 3rd declension nouns, but the former is masculine and the latter feminine.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
And that pater and mater sound really is seen in many cultures, I'm told, which is interesting.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post