Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Briti?ism Login/Join

posted
If a term or expression is used exclusively in UK English, do you call it a briticism or a britishism?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I think the latter, though I am not sure.

Interestingly, I read an article just today that came from the AP (it was originally a Missouri report, I believe) with the word "practise" in it. Now, I haven't seen that before in strictly a local report. I wonder if the British and American spellings will ever merge somewhat. It would make sense with Internet communication.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aput
posted Hide Post
I think Briticism is more widespread. Google sort of bears this out, giving about twice as many, but most of the top hits are on those worthless dictionaries, and I can't think of a way of filtering to get actual uses.

I prefer Britishism because I think the other is malformed: we have Gallicism and Americanism on adjectives, and Hebraism and Hellenism on stems, of which *Britic- is neither.

Its sound is of course informed by criticism and witticism, of which the latter is a pun (by Dryden) on the former.

Restricting the search to UK sites, -sh- is almost twice as common as -c-. The words are of course not much used here. But at least it excludes those wretched dictionaries, so the sampling might be accurate.

Posts: 502 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Graham Nice
posted Hide Post
Briticism to fit with witticism would be suitable, as we are a nation who understands irony and the 30-minute sitcom. Australians might also like the fit with criticism, becuase we are a load of whinging poms.

Posts: 382 | Location: CambridgeReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I would use Britishism, as the other option just "looks wrong". I was interested to see that Word's spellchecker queries it, however, and suggests Briticism, using either the British or US English version. I see that Dictionary.com describes Britishism as a "[v]ariant of Briticism".

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Quote "...If a term or expression is used exclusively in UK English, do you call it a briticism or a britishism?..."

I would call such a term or expression "correct".

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I would use Britishism, as the other option just "looks wrong".

That is precisely my thought, arnie.

I would call such a term or expression "correct".

Big Grin What would we do without our Richard?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post