Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Draw Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Shu is in the hospital and was to have some blood drawn. He wondered how the word "draw" as in, "draw blood" or "draw a bath" or "draw a crowd" also came to mean to "sketch" or "create" a picture. I know that words evolve and all, but the definitions do seem rather different. Any ideas?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
According to this, 'draw' is a c.1200 spelling alteration of 'drag' (OE 'dragan', OHG 'tragen'), and included 'draw', as dragging a writing implement across paper). I suppose 'drawing blood' doesn't infer siphoning it out (as I had thought), but rather dragging/carrying it from one place to another, as one once had to do with the water for a bath.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, dear! I hope he's doing well.

Bethree5 makes me wonder if tractor or trajectory are related to the German that she notes.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
Bethree5 makes me wonder if tractor or trajectory are related to the German that she notes.

Maybe. Proto-Indo-European *tragh- (> Latin trahere tractus) and Proto-Indo-European *dhragh- (> Old English dragan, Old Norse draga) might have been rhyming variants.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: goofy,

<Proofreader>
posted
Draw is also slang for marijuana. You sure he's getting blood?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He's giving it, not getting it, Proof! Saaaayyyy, how do you know so much about drug slang? Big Grin

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Saaaayyyy, how do you know so much about drug slang?

Hanging around here.

<Proofreader>
posted
Draw is an interesting word since you can "draw blood", "draw a bowstring," "draw a picture,"and, in my brother's case (even though he's not an artist) has been known to "draw flies."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Proofreader>,

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, I was thinking that "draw" is one of those words, much like "set." It has lots of definitions!

Rhyming variants, Goofy?

posted Hide Post
Jules Feiffer was drawn to cartooning.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Rhyming variants, Goofy?

Since Germanic words beginning with t and Latin words beginning with d are not thought to be cognate, there is some difficulty in taking into account the phonological and semantic similarities between Old English dragan and Latin tractus. I guess one proposed solution is that the two PIE words were related in an unsystematic way. Like how we have rhyming phrases like hustle and bustle.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I like that way of thinking...that words are related in an "unsystematic" way. Often when I read about etymologies, the relationships look unsystematic, and I am thinking they should be more linear.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Often when I read about etymologies, the relationships look unsystematic, and I am thinking they should be more linear.

That might be because a step (or steps) in the word's evolution has been left out or glossed over.

For instance, apron comes from the Latin mappa "napkin" via Old French naperon "small table-cloth", which was a diminuitive of nappe, "cloth". We then get the movement from "a napron" to an "apron". To someone confronted by the sole fact, without details of the intervening steps, that apron comes from mappa, the changes might appear to be non-linear.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So how did French end up with serviette?

Should I assume that when one is hanged, drawn, and quartered, one is not does not hire a cartoonist or rent a hotel room for his corpse?

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Probably from their word servir, "to serve".

English over here has both napkin and serviette as well; although usage of the latter is considered rather "lower class".

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
How funny that the French word is considered lower-class. Do you think that's because it's old-fashioned? or perhaps because it derived from immigrant usage?

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
They are both words that passed into English via French. Napkin is the older and so is likely to have been used by the older and richer families. Don't forget that the lower classes wouldn't have used such niceties - they'd probably have used their sleeves.

When the middle and lower classes started to use napkins/serviettes they probably used the then-current French word to add a little cachet - it's more obviously French, home of gourmet cooking.

posted Hide Post
Yet a British napkin (nappy) might cover a baby's bottom. How high class is that? Annnnd, the French don't necessarily stick tampons where American or British women do. Big Grin