Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Dr Kalleh & Dr Haberdasher, whadday you think?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dr Kalleh & Dr Haberdasher, whadday you think? Login/Join

posted
Some peevers have chided Dr Jill Biden for using her academic doctorate in her name, insisting that it ought only to apply do doctors of medicine. If that's so, what about Dr Phil, Dr Laura, Dr M.L. King, et al? And what about Shufitz? Is he an LLD? If so, shall I address him as Dr Shufitz? Bethree5, do you have a PhD, thus Dr Bethree5?

Geoff, lowly BS (Isn't that appropriate?) Wink

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It doesn’t threaten me if that’s how she wants to be known. De gustibus and all that.

My wife has a doctorate in Clinical Psychology which she prefers not to emphacize, for a variety of reasons. Again, de gustibus.

My local newspaper used to make it a practice of using the title in obituaries only for Doctors of Medicine; in other contexts there was no such restriction. But that stylebook seems to have been superseded of late.

In short, there’s no simple Right Answer to your question, only preferences.

Posts: 6267 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I think anyone with a clinical doctorate (such as a physician, lawyer, EdD, vet, psychologist, optometrist, dentist, DNP, etc.) should be able to use it, if they wish. The PhD is a bit different. It is not a clinical doctorate and is instead based in research and education. Indeed, the word "doctor" comes from the Latin word, "docere," meaning to teach. So, in my mind, those with the PhD are the most legitimate in using the term. However, somehow it is seen, similar to the WSJ's Epstein article, as only legitimate for physicians to use it. Physicians in some states have even gone to their legislators to force nurses with clinical doctorates (DNP or doctor of nursing practice) to not use the term doctor, as it is "confusing." I wonder if they are "confused" when they go to their dentist or vet.

However, if those with clinical doctorates or PhDs use it publically, they must be aware that they could be called to any medical emergency, on a plane, train, etc. Even many physicians, such as radiologists or pathologists, wouldn't be prepared to treat a very sick or injured patient, and certainly most PhDs wouldn't be. I think it arrogant for anyone to use the term "doctor" in public.

That's my two cents. The most ludicrous part of Joseph Epstein's op ed in the WSJ was his saying that no one should be called a "doctor" unless they have delivered babies. Really? Since most physicians specialize, many have told me they have never delivered a baby.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
I wonder if they are "confused" when they go to their... vet.

Your MD is a beast, huh? Big Grin Some good insights, you two! Thanks.

I think I'll just start calling everyone "reverend." The old "I and thou" idea.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I guess, when all is said and done, I agree with Hab, even if he is one of those mean old physicians. Wink

posted Hide Post
Thanks, reverend Kalleh! Or should I say Hakham instead of reverend?

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
Bethree5, do you have a PhD, thus Dr Bethree5?

Geoff, lowly BS (Isn't that appropriate?) Wink

hahahaha. I'm flattered. Must be my hoity-toity manner. Just a BA here. As in ba, ba black sheep... or BA, humbug Big Grin

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Gee I’ve always called my dentists “doctor.” They do another 4 yrs after the BS; many intern at a dental school before entering private practice, & something like 40+% do a residency in a specialty.

As for PhD’s, I was raised in an academic clan where using “Dr” was considered de trop as all the professors had one. However the consensus seems to be: don’t use it among colleagues or students, but do use it when you’re making a presentation to the public, where the title is informative about your level of expertise.

RE: EdD’s: in general the PhD protocol applies to them, too. However, I’ve noticed that in public school, both in my antique day & today, principals generally use the title (while subordinates or even peers [like the head of Child Study Team] do not, even if they have one)-- probably to distinguish their executive position in the hierarchy. Supt of Schools too, but more likely because they’re always dealing with the public.

Dr Jill Biden has two Master’s degrees, and obtained her EdD in 2007, continuing her career in teaching community college as a professor rather than instructor. Correct me if I’m wrong: I’m assuming community college profs are more likely to use the title than profs at 4-yr colleges, to distinguish themselves from the many instructors there who have only Master’s degrees.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bethree5:
Just a BA here. As in ba, ba black sheep... or BA, humbug Big Grin

I have a BS. Seems appropriate considering all the stupid things I say. Frown

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
In my time teaching at universities, most professors were referred to as "doctor." I don't think they use it less than those at community colleges.

posted Hide Post
It seems to me that clerics with DDs (doctorates, not bra size) are more likely to use "doctor" than most other non-medical folks with doctorates. Or maybe they end up in the news more often than physicists or English teachers?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
You mean like Dr. Martin Luther King? I don't think Rabbis usually use Dr.