Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

An epicaricacy post ! Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
On her blog Kalleh mentions those TV shows that show real life police chasing and arresting, for example, motorists who break the law. The question is whether or not people watch this from a sense of epicaricacy. DO they watch just because they enjoy seeing other people in trouble.
Personally I think it isn't. The purpose of these shows is to try to reassure (or possibly threaten) the public that bad behaviour (at least the relatively trivial kinds) will be found out and punished.

My question is, can it be considered epicaricacy (or schadenfreude) if it's just a case of people getting their just desserts?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
SmileOnly when they're chocolate

To take you seriously (horrors!) my personal opinion is that life is so lacking in physical threat for many in the human species that they find it necessary to run the adrenal system vicariously thro its paces in order to keep fight-or-flight responses in shape. Hence 'Cops', 'Survivor', and those awful 'savage nature' shows.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, Bob, thank you for reading my Blog!

Bethree, that's an interesting perspective. I suppose I am being cynical, but I really do think some people take joy in seeing others' misery (i.e., being handcuffed or arrested for having pot in the car) and that's why they watch those shows. Therefore, I don't think it's a case of people getting their "just desserts."

However, to answer your question, Bob, I don't think it would be considered epicaricacy or Schadenfreude if it's just a case of people getting what they deserve.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post