Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is PC still relevant? Login/Join

posted
David Crystal avers in this book http://virtuallinguist.typepad...sh-in-100-words.html that the term, "Political Correctness" has begun to lose relevance and is disappearing, due mainly to the absurdities committed in its name. While I certainly agree with Crystal, you may not. Do you still think the term has merit if used judiciously?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Yes, I do, although I am being politically correct in saying so.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, I don't think Crystal has the best reputation here on WC. I think the phrase is still relevant, though I do agree that some have gone way overboard in using it. So I guess I am somewhere in the middle.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure it is, what with so many people NOT "stifling themselves" these days, as Archie Bunker would have put it. I'm sure it is alive and well on university and college campuses, where a great effort is made to teach students to be civil, not always successfully.

WM

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, WM, you are right. There is very little "stifling" these days!

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I think I may have forgotten to share with y'all: sometime in the last 6 mos a Spanish teacher in my UK email group told how a parent complained to the principal that their young child was being taught the word 'negro' (Sp. for the color black)in school! Tho' most laughed this off as a fluke, the incident may reveal that PC has mainstreamed to middle-class England...

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
My favorite was when the newspapers printed the story about a runner whose last name was Gay whho had won a big race. They announced "Homosexual wins race."

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
You might be right, Bethree. I wonder what that parent did with "Little Black Sambo," which, by the way, was one of my favorite stories as a child.

That's amazing, proof. Is it really true?

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is it really true?

Yes. It was a far-right Christian paper that objected to the use of the word "gay" in this way. They had set up a search-and-replace to change instances of "gay" to "homosexual" in agency reports. Then Tyson Gay won a 100m race...

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Little Black Sambo," which, by the way, was one of my favorite stories as a child.

Annnnnnd.... not an African!

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post