Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Cyril, Methodius, and Old Slavic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cyril, Methodius, and Old Slavic Login/Join

posted
A linguistic query: Where did these two Greek Orthodox monks do their translation into a Greek-based alphabet of Old Slavic? Which of the numerous Old Slavic languages most resembled Russian or Ukrainian? What other Slavic languages might be involved?

Russians aver that they were the direct linguistic decendents of the Viking Rus’, but so do Ukrainians. Help!

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
The translation of the Bible into Old Church Slavonic (OCS, aka Old Bulgarian) was done in the 9th century CE by SS Cyril and Methodius. The language was based on a Slavic lanmguage spoken in Thessalonica (a part of Greece that is closest to the Byzantine Greeks). I'm not a Slavisicist, so, I cannot really say which of the current Slavic language is closest to OCS. It is still used as a liturgical language in the various Slavic Orthodox Churches. OCS is called Old Bulgarian sometimes because, some Slavic linguists think that is the Slavic language closest to it (modern version). I am sure nationalism has something to do with the identificfation of a current Slavic language with OCS.

The original language of the Rus was no doubt Old Norse as they were Vikings from Sweden. But like the Normans in Frances and Vikings elsewhere they quickly adapted to the lopcal language which was some kind of East Slavic (Belarussians, Russians, Russyns, Ukrainian).

As the Byzantine Greeks had economic relations with the Ievan Rus, they no doubt developed (or ;learned) a kind of East Slavic.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zmježd,

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, zmježd! At least I now know the "where" of my query. Early Russian/Ukrainian history is ohhhh so complicated! I've recently read Martin Sixsmith's history of Russia and Serhii Plothy's history of Ukraine, but neither untangles the language differences adequately. Any suggestions for further reading?

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Geoff. I just came across this video on Old Church Slavonic.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! Wonderful find! Many thanks! Nothing I had read before showed so much detail of the flow of, and changes in, Old Slavonic.