Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whence Wiki? Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
There are gobs of references to Wikipedia around here, but I've yet to see any explanation of what it means. If it were "wiki-wiki pedia," I'd think it was a fast Hawaiian internet server, but it's not. Just what the heck IS it?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Asa, I have wondered the very same thing. I eagerly await the answer, too.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We discussed it some here: https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/93260709...1067183?r=7181097183

This wikipedia page explains it more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki

It is important to note that Wikipedia was not the first Wiki. There are a large number of Wikis that predate it, although it was the first to bring the concept to the masses.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
The reason Ward Cunningham called his software a wiki, was because it was a quick-to-edit website. He's based in Portland, Asa, you ought to look him up.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
WHICH Portland? After Sean's post I looked at the site, but it never said Oregon or England or Maine. I knew that PDX was a center for Linux, but that's all I know about this computer stuff. Besides, they've got people so screwed up they think "digital" has to do with ones and zeros, not fingers!

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Portland, OR. The Wikipedia article I linked to on Cunningham says he now lives in Beaverton, OR. The article on the Portland Pattern Repository says it's located in Portland, OR.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Strange. I don't know why I didn't see that. Probably at Portland State University, whereas the major computer-related stuff around here is in the western suburb of Beaverton.