Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

State of the Language Login/Join

<Proofreader>
posted
Here's the title taken directly from an abstract recently published by a law professor.

One Bridge Too Far: Why the Employee Free Choice Act Has, and Should, Fail

Richard A. Epstein
University of Chicago - Law School; Stanford University - Hoover Institution on War, Revolution and Peace

Shouldn't it be ....has failed and should fail?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
The author could've written: "has and should have failed".

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
That, too.

posted Hide Post
I wonder who changes the dirtbags at the Hoover Institution?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
They exist in a vaccuum.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Clearly the instructor of my grammar class wouldn't have agreed with the sentence. Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
This class almost is pushing me to use irregardless. If you recall, this word is in the OED, our gold standard for words. Heck, my favorite word isn't even there! Yet, my trusty "workbook" when talking about words says irregardless is "not a word!"

Embarrassingly, here are a couple of exercises from the book:

Identify the subject in each of the following phrases:

1. The driver sped down the street.
2. The new director called the meeting.

I'd consider this 4th grade work.

Here is one of their tips:

"If you find, when you look it up, that you spelled it incorrectly, sound out every letter in the correct spelling. Do this several times to fix it in your memory."

Instead, you could always:

Use spellcheck! Wink

This course was an excellent example in the importance of knowing your audience before you present to them.

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Richard A. Epstein
University of Chicago - Law School
I had him as a professor in first-year law school, when he was a freshly-graduated scholar.

The man is a manic genius.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
And your daughter had another well-known scholar as her professor when she was at the U. of Chicago...Professor Barack Obama.

Not a bad school, that U of Chicago.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Professor Barack Obama

Was he a well-known scholar? He's a fairly well-known politician, but I've never heard about his scholastic career.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, it isn't easy getting a professorship at the University of Chicago Law School. I'd call him a scholar in constitutional law.

posted Hide Post
Statement from the University of Chicago Law School

quote:
Statement Regarding Barack Obama

The Law School has received many media requests about Barack Obama, especially about his status as "Senior Lecturer."

From 1992 until his election to the U.S. Senate in 2004, Barack Obama served as a professor in the Law School. He was a Lecturer from 1992 to 1996. He was a Senior Lecturer from 1996 to 2004, during which time he taught three courses per year. Senior Lecturers are considered to be members of the Law School faculty and are regarded as professors, although not full-time or tenure-track. The title of Senior Lecturer is distinct from the title of Lecturer, which signifies adjunct status. Like Obama, each of the Law School's Senior Lecturers has high-demand careers in politics or public service, which prevent full-time teaching. Several times during his 12 years as a professor in the Law School, Obama was invited to join the faculty in a full-time tenure-track position, but he declined.

The University of Chicago Law School

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
When my daughter was applying for jobs after graduation, she had her files faxed to my office and then I had to forward them to someplace for her. I remember how struck I was in seeing her constitutional course...with Professor Barack Obama's name next to it...and a very good grade.

posted Hide Post
And to think Obama got where he is thanks to a beautiful Republican alien! http://www.wpri.org/blog/?p=111

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, yes. I remember that Alan Keyes. What a jerk he was!