Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    I hope I'll be peppered with answers...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I hope I'll be peppered with answers... Login/Join

posted
when I ask the definition of "pepper." I've recently learned that so-called bell peppers have no capsaicin, the chemical that gives peppers their zing. To me, it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that zing, so why do so-called bell, or sweet peppers get to be called peppers? Bell pepppers make me sick, whereas real peppers do not, so I suspect they're not really in the same family. Are they?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Bell (or sweet) peppers are genus capsicum like the other chili peppers. Pepper itself is a misnomer given by Columbus when he brought them back to Spain. The spicy substance in peppercorn is piperine.

I like bell peppers, especially if stuffed. Just the other day I had a Philly cheese-steak sandwich with bell peppers on it.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I could find nothing! Henceforth I shall refrain from referring to chilis as peppers. Oh, and I'll also quit calling that Italian who didn't discover America by the name, "Columbus." He's Columbo from now on.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
That's a great blog, proof. Do you read it or did you just find it searching for peppers?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
That's a great blog, proof. Do you read it or did you just find it searching for peppers?

Goofy has been reading Omniglot Vegetarian for a long time.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I'll have to read it. What other blogs do you and others here like (besides Language Log)?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post