Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Transformation Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
In nursing, from time to time, we harness new words (and "harness" is one, too). Now it's all about "transforming" nursing education. When I look up "transforming," it seems a little too radical for me. Yes, we do need to change how we teach nursing students, for example by using more simulation or integrating more clinical reasoning, rather than memorization. However, "transform" means to change the structure or the appearance. Surely we don't mean to go that far. What are your thoughts? Is "transform" being used in other professions, too?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
It's typical management-speak. It's used as a synonym for change in a lot of cases when what is really meant is tinker. A truly radical change might be a transformation, but they are rare. The old axiom, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies, and most changes are cosmetic only, even if they are trumpeted as "Transforming the way we work" and the like.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder what the difference is between transformation and reformation. For some purposes they seem synonymous.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Interesting question, Geoff. I hear about "transformation" all the time, but never "reformation."

I also have never heard as many "quotes" at a conference as I have at this one. I put it in quotes because I have often found speakers often provide false quotes.

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
To me "reformation has two meanings:

1. Improvement (or an intended improvement) in the existing form or condition of institutions or practices etc.; intended to make a striking change for the better in social or political or religious affairs - which is similar to "transformation".

2. Rescuing from error and returning to a rightful course - which is probably not.

Transformation to me is a less precise term.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I also like the term "revolutionize." It sounds more active...more "in your face."

posted Hide Post
Revolutionise is a verb created from a noun created from a verb. Revolt - revolution - revolutionise.

Why not stick with the original verb?

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:
Revolutionise is a verb created from a noun created from a verb. Revolt - revolution - revolutionise.

Because revolt and revolutionize have different meanings.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Exactly, Goofy. Of the three words, I think "reformation" might be the best.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goofy:
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:

Because revolt and revolutionize have different meanings.

Not that different, surely?

Revolt = Make revolution

Revolutionise = Overthrow by a revolution, of governments.

There are other meanings of the verb "revolt", of course - but they do not apply.

Richard English

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Revolutionise = Overthrow by a revolution, of governments

That's a definition I'd never heard of before. I checked with Collins English Dictionary (as the first dictionary in Onelook) and they do give that, as the third choice, although I was only familiar with the first two meanings. I also note that their usage examples only contain specimens of the first definition. Your usage is certainly not the one that would first come to my mind.
quote:

1.to bring about a radical change in ⇒ science has revolutionized civilization
2.to inspire or infect with revolutionary ideas ⇒ they revolutionized the common soldiers
3.to cause a revolution in (a country, etc)

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I do like that definition of bringing about a radical change. Perhaps revolutionize is the best word, after all. I really don't much like the words reform or reformation anyway. They sounds too religious to me.

Of course government "revolutions" do come to mind, but not in this context. Though I guess the same could be said of "reformation."

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
This makes me think of one of my favorite lines from the musical 1776:
quote:
A rebellion is always legal in the first person, such as "our rebellion." It is only in the third person - "their rebellion" - that it becomes illegal.

Of course, if the nurses themselves decided that change needed to occur, would it then be called a rebellion? Hmm . . .

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
If the nurses thuught of it, it would an "unwarranted intrusion into the prerogatives of management."

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I do like rebellion, CW! It might push the envelope a bit.