Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Imprisoned Login/Join

<Proofreader>
posted
I just watched Victory at Sea, which I first saw in the fifties. The music is great.

But I have a question about one word used in the last segment. The announcer says (paraphrased) that soldiers spent three years captured by the Japanese. Is that the correct word? Werent' they in captivity or held captive instead? I believe "captured" should only apply to the first stage of a captivity.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I've never heard it used for anything other than the act of capturing someone. So, at the very least, I'd say this is an uncommon usage.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree, it's awkward at best. And yeah, Richard Rogers really captured the feeling of being on the open sea with his theme music. And don't forget one theme became a popular song, "No Other Love Have I." Odd for a war documentary. Make love AND war? Isn't it supposed to be "make love" before the marriage, and "make war" afterwards? Confused

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6170 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
sMy only complaint with the series (after seeing it again in a shorter period of time) is that many of the same clips were used over and over for different battles. I wonder why this was done, cnsidering the many hours of film in government archives.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why? Expediency and economy. They probably figured that after you'd seen one Kamikaze attack and one Hellcat ripping a wing off on landing you'd seen them all. So, quit your whinging, close your eyes, and just listen! Big Grin

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6170 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
It does sound awkward, I agree. But is "captured" used wrong? I'd say no, but I am not sure.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post