Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moving/removing Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Sunflower's thread about garage sales gave rise (Yes, when I think of her that happens!) to the different terminology between British and US English regarding people who move household belongings from one place to another. Here in the US we call them "movers," whereas in the UK they're "removers." Does anyone have any idea how the diffrence developed?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I don't, Asa, but I can use it in my word of the day on Wordcraftjr!

Actually, it probably makes sense to say remove because it has been moved in once, and now you are moving it again.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
It is a little odd; over here we talking about 'moving house' but employ a 'removals' company to do the physical moving of possessions.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In Greece, the word for a moving company is ΜΕΤΑΦΟΡΕΣ (or in lower case, μεταφορεσ). You'll see that word at the heading of a webpage entitled SCADPlus: ROAD TRANSPORT

I mention this because it becomes a familiar word if you express it in the Roman alphabet:
Greek: ΜΕΤΑΦΟΡΕΣ
Roman: METAFORES, or METAPHORES

Yes, our word metaphor. The Greek term means "carry across" or "carry over".

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
So what do they call it in Greece when they relocate a taxidermist? DARN, where's Museamuse when we need her!

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Kalleh and arnie, regarding the Wordcraftjr thread wherein "baby buggy" is mentioned: How do you drive a baby buggy? Tickle his toes! Roll Eyes

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
How do you drive a baby buggy?

Run it on Microsoft Windows? Wink

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:

Those are driven by ponies. Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
quote:

Deprive him of his doadie.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post