Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Monetize Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I was in a meeting today about creating some interactive modules, and the IT person said that we could "monetize them." I had no idea what was meant, and she said that means we could "charge" for them.

They're not converting the modules into money, so I don't see how this use fits the definition. Is that a new use of that word? I only see the word to mean to convert into money or to legalize as money.

Thoughts?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I have only ever heard the word used in the sense you suggest - and its reverse - demonetise. All of our old-pre-decimal coinage has been demonetised and is no longer legal tender.

I suspect this person was simply trying to be clever by using a smart-arse expression instead of the perfectly sound expression "charge for them".

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
They're not converting the modules into money, so I don't see how this use fits the definition.

It's a metaphor.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Isn't monetize the same as buxom? If you give 'em bucks, they're bucks-some. I get Dolly Parton would agree.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Neveu, were this word used by someone with more linguistic acumen, yes, I might think it was a metaphor. This individual clearly used it to mean to "charge" for the modules. I just wondered if the definition is more broad than I had thought.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Probably the person you were speaking to had heard the word used by others (probably his/her bosses) and thought it was an impressive word to sprinkle into the conversation, without realising how strained the metaphor is, or even that it is a metaphor.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's just a fancy-pants way of saying "Hey, we could convert these into money".

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, I think you are right. My husband says it's a word used in economics.