Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Siamese sounds in names Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
In POUPOURRI, zmjezhd mentioned the city of Walla Walla, in southern Washington state. How many other place names or animal names can you think of? There's the aye aye and the dik-dik among animals - what/where else?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ever eaten a pawpaw?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Interesting you should mention that word, Saranita. Just today in the paper I read that they call powder snow "pawpaw." Of course, that's also my babytalk for my dog's paw. Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
There's an atl-atl, but it is neither a place nor an animal. The process is called reduplication in linguistics, and in some language it has meaning, like being the plural for some nouns.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by saranita:
Ever eaten a pawpaw?

Only while running from aa while wearing a muumuu in Baden Baden. (What they're doing with a Hawaiian volcanic flow I'll never know!)

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Ha ha! Does you eat mahi-mahi in Pago Pago and wear a tutu instead of that muumuu? Or do they dare to go bare there? Hubba hubba!

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Did the Mau-Mau wear tutus during the uprising in the 1960s? Or did Desmond Tutu frown on that? Oh, wrong country.

posted Hide Post
Mount Kaukau is in Wellington, New Zealand. The Western Gorilla is Gorilla gorilla, the Western Lowland Gorilla is Gorilla gorilla gorilla, and the Mountain Gorilla is Gorilla beringei beringei.

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the prisoners in Sing-Sing have beriberi.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
The tsetse fly puts Homo sapiens sapiens to sleep, and Ratus ratus spreeds the bubonic plague. Tsk tsk.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
In the Pacific Battles of WWII, was there any ack-ack in Bora Bora?

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
The latest chi-chi technology to have is a satellite navigation system called TomTom.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Right off the top of my head......I believe the Pacific Sunfish is mola mola. Phew! What a relief. That thing was a ton! Roll Eyes

Posts: 249 | Location: CanadaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Can Chi Chi Rodriguez cha cha while fondling a French woman's bloblos? Eek

posted Hide Post
It took me a while to get your joke, Duncan. It was a real lulu.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Can you can-can, Duncan?

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Asa, have you been smoking funny kinnickinnick?

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ongaonga is the name of an historical town in the Hawke's Bay region of the North Island of New Zealand. Does anyone know any more about it?

Ongaonga is also the name of Urtica ferox, a nettle that is endemic to New Zealand.

It's not quite like the stinging nettles that are abundant in many moist areas of Washington and elsewhere. This one can kill you.

Wikipedia says
quote:
Ongaonga, Urtica ferox, is a nettle that is endemic to New Zealand. Sometimes known as the 'tree nettle', ongaonga has woody stems and unusually large stinging spines, and can grow 5 metres tall. Even the lightest touch can result in a painful sting that lasts several days. It has killed at least one person who blundered into it, as well as several dogs and horses.

In Maori folklore, Kupe was said to have placed several obstacles to hinder pursuers whose wives he had stolen, one of which was the ongaonga.

Ongaonga is the main food plant for larvae of the New Zealand Red Admiral butterfly or Kahukura, Bassaris gonerilla.

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Although it is not my favorite breed the Chow Chow (too furry) comes to mind.