Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    How do you define "racist?"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you define "racist?" Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I know we've talked about the word "racist" before, but Clarence Page wrote a thoughtful column about a situation that occurred in Florida. He wondered what the definition of "racist" is:
quote:
All of which raises a larger question in this tragedy: How do you define "racist"? To some people, you have to be a cross-burning, hood-wearing Klansman to qualify. To others, any attempt to inject racial concerns into the public square is evidence of racism, judging by some of the mail I receive.
It certainly made me think about my definition of "racist" What is yours?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It isn't just racism, but any "ism" that's ultimately at issue. One person says something to which another is sensitive, and the "ism" prefix gets used. In this case it may be stereotyping more than racism. We assume that any dark-skinned male in a hoodie is a "gangsta," and a lot of non-violent kids like the "gangsta" look, not realizing the potential ramifications in some situations.

I'd like to hear what Henry Louis Gates Jr, who was arrested for breaking into his OWN house, has to say about this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Louis_Gates

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Geoff,

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I remember that one. I did think that the Cambridge police acted "stupidly" for heaven's sake so why was Obama criticized for saying that? Ridiculous.

BTW, to answer Page's question, I think the worst racism is that which is subtle.

I was waiting for a bus recently when a secretary (or whatever they call them these days) was complaining about her attorney bosses. She was saying things like, "Those Jews; you know how they are!" I know I don't look Jewish, so she had no idea that I am. I did not say anything to her, but I should have. Clearly racism (and I realize technically this might not be racism) is a part of her.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

posted Hide Post
I am reminded of this old tale, as repeated in the first paragraph of this essay: http://sensuouscurmudgeon.word...-the-bicycle-riders/

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ah, yes. That's a great story.

What is odd to me is that people still think it's fine to say things like that woman said to me (and others waiting for the bus). Even if I thought that way, I'd never say it.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
"racist"

The definitions provided by Merriam-Webster are pretty good: (link).

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Strange. I'd always associated "race" with French 'racine' (root). Turns out the 'root' of 'racine' is L.radix, & the root of 'race' is M.Fr 'razza', of uncertain origin...

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And from radix we get "radical," which now means out on a limb, not "root!" Go figure!

How about a Bluffing Game daffynition, B35?

posted Hide Post
I'm reminded of Jimmy the Greek's (in)famous statement that blacks are genetically superior athletes. In a sense this is racism backwards. I guess it's all a matter of how one says something and, or course, context, as to whether something is racist, sexist, etc.

Here's an article elaborating on Jimmy the Greek's foot-in-mouth statement, but with some statistical evidence to back it up: http://run-down.com/guests/je_black_athletes_p2.php

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Geoff,

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
And from radix we get "radical," which now means out on a limb, not "root!" Go figure!

It was apparently used to mean "change from the root". See Online Etymology Dictionary.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
The definitions provided by Merriam-Webster are pretty good: (link).

The definitions are certainly reasonable, but it's the examples that are more egregious and don't address that subtlety of racism that Page talks about. Here are the examples MW provides:
quote:
the racism that was the basis of apartheid
<Hitler's declaration of his belief in a “master race” was an indication of the inherent racism of the Nazi movement.>
The recording career of the Henderson band was brief … due partly to the racism of booking agencies that didn't take on black acts until the mid-'30s, when Henderson's career was on the downswing. —Greg Tate, Vibe, April 1995