Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Why isn't Hispanic origin a race?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why isn't Hispanic origin a race? Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
At this moment I am so glad I am not Hispanic because otherwise I'd be flummoxed on how to complete our 2010 Census form. I must have missed some national discussion we've had about race.

Questions 8 & 9 on the form say:
quote:
Note: Please answer BOTH Question 8 about Hispanic origin and Question 9 about race. For this census, Hispanic origins are not races.
8. Is person 1 of Hispanic, Latino or Spanish origin?
_ No, not of Hispanic, Latino or Spanish origin
_Yes, Mexican, Mexican Am., Chicano
_Yes, Puerto Rican
_Yes, Cuban
_Yes, another Hispanic, Latino or Spanish origin (for example, Argentinean, Columbian, Nicaraguan, Salvadoran, Spaniard, and so on. Print origin.)

9. What is person 1's race?
_White
_Black, African Am., or Negro
_American Indian or Alaska Native (print name of enrolled or principal tribe)
_Asian Indian
_Chinese
_Filipino
_Other Asian (for example Hmong, Laotian, Thai, Pakistani, Cambodian, and so on; please print race)
_Japanese
_Korean
_Vietnamese
_Native Hawaiian
_Guamanian or Chamorro
_Samoan
_Other Pacific Islander (for example, Fijian, Tongan and so on; please print race)
_Some other race; please print race)

Okay. So let's say I am Cuban, and I answer that in number 8. Do I answer white in number 9? I guess so. If race doesn't include Hispanic, Latino or Spanish origin, why include question 8? My countries of origin aren't included (England, Scotland, Ireland, Norway, Germany, and the Netherlands), so why do they ask about the Hispanic origin and not mine? Doesn't it also mean that those of Hispanic origin, being white, are no longer minorities?

I am all confused with the way I have always thought about race.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Here is an extremely long article on race. There seems to be no biological evidence supporting the concept of race, and such concepts vary from culture to culture. The article doesn't even mention Hispanics until the end:

quote:

The term "Hispanic" as an ethnonym emerged in the 20th century with the rise of migration of laborers from American Spanish-speaking countries to the United States. Today, the word "Latino" is often used as a synonym for "Hispanic". The definitions of both terms are non-race specific, and include people who consider themselves to be of distinct races (Black, White, Amerindian, Asian, and mixed groups).[83] In contrast to "Latino" or "Hispanic", "Anglo" refers to non-Hispanic White Americans or non-Hispanic European Americans, most of whom speak the English language but are not necessarily of English descent.

As you say, it is completely confusing, and the categories on the census only reflect popular concepts of race in this country. The form really should just ask about ethnicity, I guess, but all the statistics geeks just really wanna know how many of what kinds of people we've got here.

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Thanks, WM.

I think it is somewhat discriminatory, really, because it apparently depends on what country you come from. For example, someone from Korea has a specific race, but someone from Puerto Rico doesn't. As my daughter said, it seems to be about skin color. Even that is a little off. Many Hispanics have darker skin, but then so do many "whites" from Mediterranean countries.

I think it's about minorities, and now I am thinking the whole minority issue isn't based on true races.

I guess if you say something rude about those who are Hispanic, you can't be called a "racist."

<Proofreader>
posted
They have to know so they can determine where and how long the border fence should be.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
This is something I always find interesting at enrolment time. Our forms, like all the other colleges in the country, use the Home Office classifications and they baffle me.

Asian or Asian British is divided into Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi and "any other Asian background".
Black or Black British is divided into Caribbean, African and "any other black background".
Mixed Race is divided into "White and Black Caribbean", "White and Black African", "White and Asian", "any other mixed background".
Chinese is a category on its own

The one that puzzles me most is that White is divided into British, Irish and "any other white background".

And there is an "any other ethnic group".

This always seems to me to be a bizarre mixing of nationalities and ethnicities and during the weeks of enrolment we are asked dozens of times an hour which category anyone from the middle east fits into.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
In recent years these pseudo-categories have really been breaking down with mixed race one from column A sorts of multiple choice checkboxes. Is President Obama an African American, Kenyan American, white, or all of the above? Tiger Woods Asian African American? etc.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why isn't "None of your damned business" an option?

I recently took in a renter who was born in India, has Canadian and Indian citizenship, and is a naturalized US of American. How do I describe him??? Confused

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6170 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
I think the classifications on the U.S. census form do have to do with minority classifications that have grown up out of the bureaucracy intended to enforce the civil rights laws. And apparently, too, the Census Bureau has caved in to popular demand, listing "African American, black or negro" as one category because on the previous census, over 50,000 blacks had written in "negro." Bob, I used to fill out the surveys for the college ratings guides when I was working, and the Department of Education keeps detailed statistics about student bodies of educational institutions with categories similar to those listed on the census. We had a lot of students who did not designate a race, so "unknown" was our our second-largest category.

WM

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
"unknown" was our our second-largest category.
Oh that is so funny.

I also thought, with the 10-year census being so official, that the abbreviations were odd. How much more would it take, for example, to write African American, instead of African Am.?

posted Hide Post
I take a more expansive view of the word "race", equating it with "breed"; thus there's only one race of humans with minor variations. Certainly not near the variations found in animals. That is to say, if it's not a taxonomic use, it ain't.
According to the Census Bureau I'm a left-handed Lithuanian Lesbian.

Posts: 70 | Location: Philly/SJReply With QuoteReport This Post