Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    America American Amerigo Vespucci
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

America American Amerigo Vespucci Login/Join

posted
Im trying to figure out why I am called an American...

America, According to Funk and Wagnells 1943 edition<under the definition of American>, was a name given to the coastline of Brazil in 1517. This name was given in honor of Amerigo Vespucci. By 1540, the name America extended to South America And finally to the ENTIRE Western Continent.

How did the United State get To Be known as "America"..speaking American English...

Is not everyone from The Americas' American?

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
quote:
How did the United State get To Be known as "America"..speaking American English...

Because the name of this country is the United States of America, which does not preclude other non-united states in the Americas.

quote:
Is not everyone from The Americas' American?

Yes, Canadians, Mexicans, Argentines, et al., are all from the Americas. In fact, many in Latin America call the citizens of the USA, Norteamericanos 'North Americans', but that excludes Canada and mexico. All quite complicated.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What about the Native American Indian....they are surely Americans ...Right? here are a few Indian words...
Alabama
Connecticut
Massachusetts
Kansas
Missouri
Nebraska
Indiana
Utah
Michigan
Minnesota ....Manhattan...Mississippi..Bar-b-que

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bar-b-que
Ugh. What's wrong with barbecue?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
quote:
they are surely Americans

They're Americans as far as I'm concerned, but that didn't seem to be your question. I suppose that, technically, Native Americans are sovereign nations who have treaties with the government of the USA, but de facto they're just a special class of US citizens.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
I thought barbeque was French: barbe `a cul, referring to the spit-roasting of a whole animal.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
barbeque.. I dont know about..

I do know that 'barbecue is a poor translation of the word barbicu. Barbicu is the authentic word. It is a Taino Indian word.

n : A meat roasting process, using a fire pit and a barbacoa stand and placing upon it the roasted meat. This comes from the Taino Indian dictionary that is online...

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Last I read, BBQ was from a Taino (Carib) word via Spanish via Portuguese. Meant a kind of platform.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.