Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rough sleeper Login/Join

posted
I came across the above term in The Guardian. It appears to refer to homeless people, but I don't understand it. Can someone explain it?

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Sure - you have it right. It means someone who is homeless and sleeping on the streets. Last time I was in England I was truly shocked at how many people were sleeping rough - in shop doorways or under bridges. It made me ashamed that my government could be responsible for policies that caused it. There has been a dramatic rise - hundreds of percent - over the last few years because even people who have jobs often find that they are not paid enough to find accommodation. The official figures are way off and don’t even consider people who are sleeping on the floor of friends’ homes. Shocking and disgraceful (and as of three hours ago Boris Johnson, a man who doesn’t give a damn about anyone but himself is our new Prime Minister.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, now you have YOUR Trump.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Sadly we don’t even have the tradition of late night chat show hosts to find a bit of gallows humour in the situation. Still we have laughed at your leader for long enough, It’s only fair that you get a turn.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
It made me ashamed that my government could be responsible for policies that caused it.

Bob, I so remember the first time I felt that-- I'd been living in NYC for about 10 yrs when, in the early 1980's, there was a sharp increase in the # of homeless in the streets. I would look around & think we seemed to be in a 3rd-world country. At the time many attributed it to a continuation of the fallout from bad decisions regarding de-institutionalization of the mentally-ill, or perhaps a rise in drug problems [there was cheaper cocaine flooding into the mkt, & soon the crack epidemic would be upon us]. But I've just researched this, prompted by your post. The consensus now is that that was the beginning of spiraling income inequality. We had an earlier twinship in antisocial conservative policies via Thatcher & Reagan, but perhaps England's superior social safety nets delayed the degree of inequality, & the severity of its impact. How sad that we have caught up to each other via Trump and Johnson.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Last time I was in England I was truly shocked at how many people were sleeping rough - in shop doorways or under bridges.
It is those high hotel rates. Wink

Seriously, Bob and Bethree, you are right. It is disgusting to see homeless people in our supposed good economy. The inequality of wealth in both our countries is leading us to disaster.

As for both our president and your prime minister, they sure seem to have a lot in common. For me, it's the hair.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I had a text message from an American I know who is a huge Donald Trump supporter congratulating me that my country now also has a great leader who will restore us to our rightful place as leaders of the world just as DT is doing for you.
I chose not to answer. After all how do you answer when someone congratulates you on managing to get a ticket on the Titanic?

Maybe by showing them this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXyO_MC9g3k

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Fortunately, I don't know that many Donald supporters. And the ones I do know try to hide it.

Donald and Boris are two of a kind, aren't they? I wonder what the Royalty in England think...

posted Hide Post
I have become increasingly aware of the need to both research and support those who are trying to deal with some of these problems. I consider myself a "progressive". Affordable housing is becoming a thing of the past.

Those with mental health issues are also often living on the streets. I personally know a man (I met him when we were both 12), who has always had severe mental health issues. He lived in my apartment building until just recently. For reasons unknown to me, he was evicted and is now on the streets.

Although this is just a band-aid, someone gave a talk at our local UU church on homelessness and showed us this coat. It is really pretty neat and can, at least, provide some comfort and warmth during colder times.

EMPWR Coat

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
I had a text message from an American I know who is a huge Donald Trump supporter congratulating me that my country now also has a great leader who will restore us to our rightful place as leaders of the world just as DT is doing for you.
I chose not to answer. After all how do you answer when someone congratulates you on managing to get a ticket on the Titanic?

Maybe by showing them this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXyO_MC9g3k

FACTS AREN'T ENOUGH

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Two excellent links, Sattva. Thank you! Fortunately the anti-vax woman did more research! That original study, published in the supposedly peer-reviewed lancet, really put many children in jeopardy. I hope they are happy!

In your other link, I learned a new word. That coat/sleeping bag was made from "upcycled" materials?