Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any? Login/Join

posted
Does this sentence seem wrong to you?

"Klobuchar ran for Hennepin County Attorney in 1998 and for the U.S. Senate in 2006, where she has passed more legislation than any member of the U.S. Senate."

Had it said, "...any OTHER member..." I'd have no problem with it. As it is, I wonder whose senate she's a member of. It's a common construction today, so has grammar changed? Did I fail to get the memo?

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see your point, Geoff. I guess they assume they don't have to add the word "other", but I agree they should have.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
It does give the impression that she isn't a member of the senate. I don't think it's a common construction though. It's not something I have encountered. I think it's just a mistake.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Odd as it may sound, I've seen this used more than "any other" for several years! I suspect that it just slips past most of us, and we unconsciously add "other." Watch for it and report back in a few weeks! Sattva, since you're in the USA, you'll likely see it more than Bob does, except when he's reading USA-Based stuff.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Interestingly, when I first read it, I automatically inserted "other" myself. Then I read your comment and went back and realized it was not there. Eek

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post