Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Soccer Mom...Yoga Mama? Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
There was an interesting article in the Chicago Tribune yesterday about how the Soccer Mom, whom we have come to know, has now become passé. The new moms are called Yoga Mamas because "mama" sounds so much more hip than "mom," according to Katherine Stewart, author of the novel, The Yoga Mamas. Here is how the Chicago Tribune compares the two:

Soccer mom ... Is game to "do it all," quickly and efficiently.
Yoga mama ... Fulfills a balance of obligations in a mindful way.

Soccer mom ... Still owns that collapsible nylon chair.
Yoga mama ... Owns a yoga mat, of course.

Soccer mom ... Puts her own life and needs on hold to help others.
Yoga mama ... Is empowered from within and takes time for friendships, career and hobbies.

Soccer mom ... Attributes stomach flu to a virus and takes ailing child to the doctor.
Yoga mama ... Figures out why her child has a third chakra imbalance; takes her offspring to the doctor, acupuncturist and therapist.

Soccer mom ... Hid her pregnancy so well that most friends thought she was dieting unsuccessfully.
Yoga mama ... Flaunts expanding midriffs in belly-hugging tops and low-cut $175 Seven maternity jeans.

Soccer mom ... Lamaze.
Yoga mama ... Prenatal and postnatal yoga.

Soccer mom ... When someone hurts her child's feelings, says: "He'll get what's coming to him."
Yoga mama ... "Now that's a yucky piece of karma."

Soccer mom ... Read bedtime stories to her children.
Yoga mama ... Does visualizations.

Soccer mom ... Watched her children play in the park.
Yoga mama ... Helps her kids plant flowers in the park.

Soccer mom ... Drinks Starbucks lattes and Diet Cokes.
Yoga mama ... Sips herbal decaf teas.

Soccer mom ... Children grew up eating chicken nuggets, french fries, mac and cheese and Fruit Roll-Ups.
Yoga mama ... Toddlers demand creme brulee and yellowtail maki.

Soccer mom ... Slathered kids with baby oil and Vaseline.
Yoga mama ... Petroleum-free products only, like California Baby Calendula Cream and Burt's Bees Buttermilk Lotion.

Soccer mom ... Micromanaged the fast-food menu ("No. 2 combo with no onions, extra ketchup and no mayo").
Yoga mama ... Sneaks kelp into toddlers' meatballs.

Soccer mom ... Pampers her purebred golden retriever.
Yoga mama ... Rescues an animal from the local shelter.

Soccer mom ... Has videos of Barney and the Olsen twins, Mary-Kate and Ashley.
Yoga mama ... Owns most of the "Baby Einstein" DVDs, from "Baby Beethoven" right through to "Baby Van Gogh."

Soccer mom ... Writes for the community newspaper.
Yoga mama ... Has her own blog.

Soccer mom ... Outfitted her children at Gymboree, The Gap and Talbots Kids.
Yoga mama ... Her kids wear organic cotton shirts and clothing made from pesticide-free hemp.

Soccer mom ... Carried a $30 Winnie the Pooh diaper bag from Target.
Yoga mama ... Totes a $200 diaper bag of houndstooth and red Asian brocade.

Soccer mom ... Stroller? Yes.
Yoga mama ... $700 Bugaboo stroller, because it's ergonomically better.

Have you heard the term before? I think there probably aren't too many Yoga Mamas in Chicago's inner city. Roll Eyes BTW, I think they forgot an important one. The Soccer Moms had $20,000 minivans, while the Yoga Mamas have $50,000 SUVs.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lol - that's funny, Kalleh. I like it Big Grin. My guess is that the 'yoga mamas' being written about here are the middle class idiots who do something merely because it's trendy (and as such are likely to drop it the minute the Next Big Thing comes in). Such people are easy to spot because of the mistakes they make: such as, as Kalleh pointed out, buying gas-guzzling cars that no self-resepecting environmentally sensitive person would even dream of owning.

Hehe - am I ranting? Sorry - I've just met too many of these people to be tactful about them. I have loads of time for anyone who genuinely wants to change their lifestyle and learn, but this lot don't. They say 'oh yes, I'm really into all this New Age stuff' (clue's in the question - 'into' suggests a trend that one can just as easily opt out of - and I bristle at the term New Age anyway), but when you try to have a conversation with them about it they know nothing bar what they've read in some trashy magazine and they're not interested in learning more - they're just doing it for the look of it.

Anyway, words, yes. Words are cool Wink.

Posts: 669 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
There are plenty of both types here, although I hadn't heard the term. However, it's the soccer moms who drive the monsters not the yoga types. Around here the yoga mommas plunk the tykes in a Burley trailer on her bicycle.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I disagree, Asa. I think Cat is more on track. The Yoga Mamas act like they are being environmentally responsible, but they really are just being "trendy," as Cat says. She put it very nicely; in trying to be trendy, they make mistakes.

BTW, I saw plenty Yoga Mamas in SUVs while I was in Portland...and there are plenty where I live, too.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Well, Kalleh, yoga your way and I'll go mine! Wink
Perhaps I misunderstod the term. If they're just poseurs, not sincerely living the life, then I suppose you're right.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post