Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Greek or Latin? Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
It seems strange to me that the word "uterus" is from Latin, but removal of the "uterus," "hysterectomy," comes from Greek. Similarly, the word "testicle" is from Latin, but the removal of the "testicle" is an "orchiectomy," which is from Greek. Somewhat similar is the word "breast," which is from Old English, but then the removal of the breast is a "mastectomy," which is again from Greek.

Yet, with other organs the removal comes straight from the organ, such as: "tonsil" and "tonsillectomy" or "appendix" and "appendectomy or "spleen" and "spenectomy" or "colon" and "colectomy," etc.

Is the difference because the former words are all for genital organs? If so, why would that be?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Is the word orchidectomy? Offhand I'd say that since -ectomy is of Greek origin, the tendency is to use Greek forms, if they exist. Also, the tendency not to mix Greek and Latin words may not be so great as it was in the past. (I've never considered a breast to be a genital organ.) Both spleen and colon are both of Greek origin. Tonsil and appendix are Latin.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I had added spleen and colon at the last minute, forgetting to check them. That is interesting. Perhaps it's just random then.

I suppose breast isn't a genital organ per se, but it's certainly a secondary sexual organ.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
The breast is known as the "mammary gland" from the Latin mamma "breast".

Although removal of a breast (because of cancer, etc.) can apparently be called a mammectomy, is is more usually known as a mastectomy. That is strange in itself. According to Wiktionary the word comes from mastoid + -ectomy. The mastoid process is a bony area behind the ear! Apparently it is conical so shaped like a breast or nipple.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
mastoid

Mastectomy is from Greek μαστος (mastos) 'breast; nipple'. Mastoid has the suffix -id[/i] which is used like English -ish, -like.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Aha! That explains it. I think an amendment (or at least the above explanation) should be made to the Wiktionary entry, don't you?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

posted Hide Post
As a nurse I am often fascinated by words (euphomisms?) constructed from the word "ostomy" - which basically means to cut a hole ("os" is Latin for mouth or opening). There are colostomies (not to be confused with colonoscopies - which are visual scopes of the colon), ileostomies, etc. Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary simply states that "tomy" is a "combining form meaning incision"). Since I am new to this site I am hoping someone can enlighten me regarding the term "combining form." Thank you.

Posts: 52 | Location: Raleigh, NCReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One more thought. I am fascinated by the way certain medical words are used in such diverse ways. For instance, "cyst" is Greek for bladder or sac, so it often crops up with procedures or anatomical descriptions involving the bladder. Yet, it can also refer to an abnormal growth or pouch. And, "catheter" is Greek for "something inserted." Patients typically think of this as a Foley (bladder) catheter, but it also refers to tubing used for intravenous insertions (IVs).

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Hello elledee. Welcome to this site - I am sure you will enjoy your stay.

Is your name by any chance a corruption of your initials - LED? Mind you, as an LED you would surely be a bright spot on our firmament!

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are also the aptly-named mammillary bodies on the underside of the brain; they reminded me of Barbie-doll breasts.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:
Hello elledee. Is your name by any chance a corruption of your initials - LED? Mind you, as an LED you would surely be a bright spot on our firmament!
That assumes three syllables, ell-ee-dee. Of course it could be a two syllables, elle-dee, or LD, which means something else entirely. Big Grin

Of course, that first syllable elle is French for 'she'. Could it be that our Richard knows French, infers that elledee is female, and is gallantly flirting? Wink

elledee, whatever your name or gender, welcome to our board!

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Plus elledee is a nurse and, whereas not all nurses are female it is primarily a female vocation.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
y

You got me! Elle stands for both my first initial and female gender (also, coincidentally, the name of a current first lady). It could also stand for things I value - laughter, love, life (sappy, I know). "D" is for my middle name and similar to a modern late princess. Unfortunately, I have to leave for work soon (those crazy nursing hours) because I am loving this site! Tonight I will approach the floor with more of a Greek and Latin perspective...Thank you for making me feel so welcome. I look forward so sharing lots of word games and fun.

posted Hide Post
Me again. I confess. I googled LED - light emitting diode? I could live with that.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Nice to see another nurse here, elledee. Smile
quote:
Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary simply states that "tomy" is a "combining form meaning incision"). Since I am new to this site I am hoping someone can enlighten me regarding the term "combining form."
I will offer a guess, though some of the more informed here may have a better answer. I am wondering if it simply means that it's a suffix that you combine another core word to, which means an incision into whatever you add to it (such as "otomy" with "trachea").

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
"combining form meaning incision"

It's a term that means that it is used in combining with others in coining new words. Greek τομη (tomē) 'incision', cf. τεμνειν (temnein) 'to cut', τνησις (tmesis 'cutting'.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
Thank you for your help and ideas.

posted Hide Post
Nice to be here and to see another nurse here, Kalleh! I could use help with pronouncing your name and also zmježd's name Smile

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zmježd:
tmesis 'cutting'.

Ah! One of my favourite figures of speech! So far as I know, the only word in English to start with tm. But that's a-whole-nother matter. Big Grin

See Wikipedia.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I could use help with pronouncing your name and also zmježd's name

Mine is pretty much pronounced as written. Wink It's James, written phonetically and then reverse. I'll try to record and post it soon.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
stunningly simple without being obvious! Very nice Razz