Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

waffle Login/Join

<Proofreader>
posted
OK, a waffle is a reguarly scarred and pitted pancake. And I find it is also unneeded verbiage. But I can't find that it is "to be unable to make one's mind," which is what I always thought it meant, too. Any opinions?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
For some reason, I can't edit the last entry so

waffle -- undecided

is what I wanted to write in place of the verbosity I wrote.

posted Hide Post
Maybe your favorite search engine is waffling on whether to present your desired definition.
I've long used it to mean equivocating.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6172 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's in the OED Online from 1803!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
There's an interesting distinction, apparently, between its use in the U.S. and in England, according to Quinion.
quote:
Presumably you mean by waffle that you were equivocating, writing evasively or using ambiguous language that avoided coming to any definite conclusion? That’s the usual way that Americans use it. We Brits have a slightly different sense: we apply it to speech or writing that goes on at great length but without saying anything that’s important or useful — a subtle distinction.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had no idea about the US usage, but I can see how it might have arisen: one common reason for waffling (in the British sense) might be because one is unable to make up one's mind.

Posts: 292 | Location: Bath, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes. That's precisely our use of the word. Politicians, for example, are often accused of "waffling" on issues.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
So if i can't make up my mind whether I like regualar or blueberry pancakes best, am I "waffling"?

posted Hide Post
Proof, you buttermilk that pun for all it's worth!

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6172 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post