Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"sketched out" Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
My daughter said she was "sketched out" because something. I haven't heard that term used before. Have you?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
No. But then the language of one generation is commonly incomprehensible to the older generation.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, it has 1,480,000 Google hits, so it's apparently used a lot. I haven't seen "sketchy" used as a verb. My daughter says it means, "uncomfortable about a situation, with a dangerous connotation." When we look it up online, it also seems to be related to being under the influence of drugs.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I've seen "stretched out" and "strung out" used with a similar meaning, but not "sketch".

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Well, it has 1,480,000 Google hits, so it's apparently used a lot. I haven't seen "sketchy" used as a verb. My daughter says it means, "uncomfortable about a situation, with a dangerous connotation." When we look it up online, it also seems to be related to being under the influence of drugs.

Many of those hits may be in the British usage meaning "outlined" or "explained in vague terms".

For example, "Here's the way he sketched out the plan to me."

This is a very common usage here.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
sketched out

FWIW, Urban Dictionary has a couple of entries that seem to overlap in meaning (link). I've never heard it used, except in Bob's sense, and that over here by non-Britons.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
I've heard it used in the sense of describing a plan, "sketched out the plan," but not in the other sense of strung out on drugs.

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post