Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Broken words Login/Join

<Proofreader>
posted
Over the past few months I've noticed that news reports have increasingly been prefaced with "Breaking News!" That seems to be the Phrase of the Month so far. But isn't every new bit of news "breaking" in some sense?

One of our local news stations persists in beginning stories with "Police report an incident at 123 Main Street, shown here on our Pinpoint News Tracker...", at which point a poorly detailed map of the area is shown. The map itself is so indistinct that even if you lived next door to the incident, you'd never know how to find it.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Proof that we no longer get news, but infotainment. "I told you so!" Orwell (NOT Limbaugh)

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
In the midwest we've been hearing "breaking news" for a long time now. It is an interesting phrase, though, and this is what Wikipedia says about it:
quote:
Today, the term "breaking news" has become trite as commercial broadcasting United States cable news services that are available 24-hours a day use live satellite technology to bring current events into consumers' homes as the event occurs. Events that used to take hours or days to become common knowledge in towns or in nations are fed instantaneously to consumers via radio, television, mobile phone, and the Internet.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
The "Breaking News" ticker is a permanent feature of Sky News (a Murdoch channel). Its use makes some sense when the story is new (and/or important) but often it is several hours old and they are still calling it "breaking".

There is a large plasma screen in the lobby at work which is always tuned to Sky News, with the sound off and closed captions on. What with the "Breaking News", the closed captions, and often another news ticker, it is difficult to see the screen sometimes under all the text, let alone read the three competing stories at once. Real information overload.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
A new complication: Now the reader begins with "This is a story we broke as 'breaking news' yesterday." So it's now "broken breaking news."

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps they need to hire Tom Broke-aw? And what's this crap about calling me a news "consumer!?!?!?" Only in a loosely metaphoric sense does one consume that which touches one's senses.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Heck, I even get breaking news on my iPhone. Today it was about our ex-governor getting 14 years in jail. Personally, I think that was too much, but then who am I to know. Someone made the point that Michael Jackson's physician only got 4 years for killing Michael, thus thinking that Blogo's sentence was too high. I have to agree with that. I wonder how many years the Penn State assistant coach will get for raping all those boys. Probably less than Blago. I don't think we have our priorities straight here in the U.S.

BTW, that's 4 convicted governors out of the last 9...

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

BTW, that's 4 convicted governors out of the last 9...

And how many Presidents? Roll Eyes

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ROFLMAO!