New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone know... Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
...what you call this thing?
It's one of those party things that is a rolled up tube of paper. When you blow into the plastic thing inserted in one end it makes a squeaky noise and the paper tube unrolls. When you stop blowing it rolls back up again.

This came up in my classroom today (someone in a picture in one of the text books was blowing one.)
I couldn't think of the word and asking around in the staff room revealed that no-one else could think of it either.

Any ideas ?

Vescere bracis meis.

Read all about my travels around the world here.
Read even more of my travel writing and poems on my weblog.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post
Orientaltrading.com has them listed as "Blow outs" though I don't remember calling them that myself. I think we just called them party favors because, other than the little cone shape birthday hat, that was all we gave out back when I was a kid.

Posts: 784 | Location: Atlanta, GAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Heck of a good question. I feel like there has to be a name somewhere, that it hidden deep in the back of my mind, and I just can't bring it out.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
quote:
This came up in my classroom today (someone in a picture in one of the text books was blowing one.)
I couldn't think of the word and asking around in the staff room revealed that no-one else could think of it either.

Any ideas ?

Being of a somewhat suspicious nature, I think it's a diversionary tactic perpetrated by a clever student as a red herring to avoid having to exert effort in learning vocabulary that matters.

It's obviously a whatchamacallit.

[This message was edited by jerry thomas on Thu Mar 27th, 2003 at 14:42.]

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shufitz:
Heck of a good question. I feel like there has to be a name somewhere, that it hidden deep in the back of my mind, and I just can't bring it out.

Everyone I've asked has said

"Yeah, that's called a... a... a... it's on the tip of my tongue... it's er... you know I can't think what it's called right now but I know that I know it."

or something to that effect.

Vescere bracis meis.

Read all about my travels around the world here.
Read even more of my travel writing and poems on my weblog.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If this is what you are talking about, they are called "party blow-outs", at least on several sites I found! Big Grin

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jerry thomas:
It's obviously a whatchamacallit.
Well, Jerry, a whatchamacallit is merely a specific for forms of a more general species; there are numerous alternatives.

It might, for example, be a doohickey or a whosemewhatsis. Or many others, which escape me at the moment but will doubtless not escape others.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
"party blow-outs"
Morgan, I would think that is what Bob is describing. However, I do think there is another name for it, too, but I can't remember it.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
We've always called them simply "squeakers". I've no idea what the official name is, though.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
I know what they're called. Morgan is only hlf right. When in the hands of childred at, say, a youngster's birthday party, they are called "bow-outs" if you absolutely insist on a specific name other than "party favors."

In the hands of adults, however, they're called "annoying" which is why I never attend a New Year's Eve party without bringing along a good pair of scissors.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Party blow-outs, whistles, and squeaks ...
Whatever language amuseamuse speaks
Must have a word
Beyond any I've heard
What's the word that is used by the Greeks?

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post