Find
Notify
Tools

A House on Fire Login/Join

posted
'To get on like a house on fire.'

Does this have a traceable origin?

posted Hide Post
It's like loads of things I see on this site, a phrase I use all the time without thinking about it but when it comes up in a thread I haven't a clue where it comes from or why I use it. I'd love to know too.

Posts: 291 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At a guess I would say it originated from a time when narrow streets and thatched roofs were prevelant, and the spread of fire from house to house would indeed be "very fast or vigorously".

Posts: 7 | Location: BritainReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Here's a discussion about it from the Phrase Finder, though it isn't in my online OED.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well fanx but that's a definition not an etymology. Probably easier to find in a book than the internet, and I'm sure you lot/guys/ppl have loads of dusty old tomes full of useful info. Where's jheem? He seems to know everything.

posted Hide Post
using google:

http://users.tinyonline.co.uk/gswithenbank/sayingsl.htm
"Like a house on fire - very well
Originally, very quickly or vigorously; the simile made better sense in the old days when houses were of wooden construction and had thatched roofs, etc."

Posts: 7 | Location: BritainReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The phrase means 'get on well', right? But the origin suggested there does not so much imply a friendly relationship as a kind of contagion. To 'spread like houses on fire' would be more appropriate.

I recognise, however, that word origins do not have to be logical.