Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Catapostrophe Login/Join

Picture of Richard English
posted
I was having a prowl around to find some examples of catapostrophes and a I happened on this site http://www.apostrophecatastrop...-for-waitresses.html

Unfortunately I could post to sites as I have to do something complicated to do with Yahoo/OpenID/blogs/Uncle Tom Cobley and All so I am asking the erudite users of this board:

Is not the title of the page/site/blog/whatever the damn thing is - a catapostrophe itself?

To my mind "...The Worlds' Worst. Punctuation;..." implies that there are two or more worlds involved - which I very much doubt is the case.

Oh, and if someone could tell me just how one does get to respond to these kinds of postings that would be handy to know.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the punctuation in the title is intentional. It's supposed to be a joke, see.

posted Hide Post
I did wonder whether that was the case - but then I'd have thought that the perpetrator would have made more of it - like hinting that there's something to look out for.

After all, although it's a mistake, it's a pretty subtle one; indeed, some North Americans use the plural possessive as a matter of course (presumably to avoid having too many esses).

For example, "Charles' house" rather than "Charles's house"; "the Boss' office rather than "the Boss's office" seems often to be some North Americans' preference.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
if someone could tell me just how one does get to respond to these kinds of postings that would be handy to know.

For this particular site click the link 'Post a Comment'. A new window should open. If you've a stringent pop-up blocker you'll have to allow pop-ups for that site. Make your comment and type in the CAPTCHA word verification. Finally, choose an identity. You have the choice (again for this site only) of choosing a Google account, an OpenID account, entering your name, or posting anonymously.

It's not that hard, really!

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd have thought that the perpetrator would have made more of it - like hinting that there's something to look out for.

The punctuation of the rest of the blog's title should have given you a clue: The Worlds' Worst. Punctuation;

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah. Anon is the way to go! I am not interested in creating a plethora of onscreen personalities. And I could presumably show my name in the posting in any case.

Insofar as the title is concerned - it's actually more obvious that it is probably a deliberate error when you see it as a simple sentence (as I've shown it). As it was on the site - over two lines and with one of those a title - it was less clear.

Richard English