Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Size-up Login/Join

Picture of Caterwauller
posted
How did we come to say "size up" for when you're checking out someone? I was just listening to that camp song "The Other Day I Met a Bear" and it has that phrase in it . . .

He looked at me, I looked at him,
He sized up me, I sized up him . . .

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
As far as the etymology, I checked my 2 favorite sites, world wide words (Quinion) and word detective, but it wasn't there. However, it seems to make sense to me. In order to check someone's size out, you have to take a close look at him. So, you are 'sizing him up.' I don't know, though.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aput
posted Hide Post
size v. ... 5. colloq. (orig. U.S.) Usu. with up: To take the size or measure of; to regard so as to form an opinion of; to make an estimate of 1884.

Posts: 502 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aput, the usage you cite is noted as colloquial. But can't size be used as a verb non-colloquially, as in "to size a suit of clothes properly"?

Picture of aput
posted Hide Post
Earlier senses in the OED are 3. to make, give, or adjust the size of something; and 4. to arrange or line up by size.

I think 5. is really about size up, which begins with a literal sense 'take the size of', and what the 'usu.' is doing in there is noting that occasionally the colloquial sense 'form estimate' can be plain size, but is usually size up. Also, my copy is an old edition and we might not think of it as colloq. now.

Posts: 502 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post