Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pop of color Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Have any of you heard of the "pop of color" in clothing or decorating? I was at a meeting today where someone was talking about that at lunch. She said color "pops" when the person wears all matching colors, and then an outlier color. I hadn't heard it used that way, nor had many at our lunch table. I then checked Google, and only found this on a website, coincidentally, my daughter just sent me today: Rue La La

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is a pop of scarlet worn by pop tarts?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6172 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, my daughter has heard of it. I think the word pop is being used more, generally. I also heard someone say that a good watermelon is "crisp, not mushy, and pops when you eat it."

posted Hide Post
quote:
watermelon...pops when you eat it

Eek How alarming!

I've heard of colours 'popping' or causing an outfit to 'pop', but I hadn't heard of a 'pop of colo(u)r'. However, a quick google search reveals that it certainly being used in this way.

I'm not sure whether or not I like it. Do you?

Posts: 153 | Location: Merrie Olde EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We often use "a splash of colo(u)r," so why not?
This is far less grating on my ears than many other new terms.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

posted Hide Post
quote:
We often use "a splash of colo(u)r," so why not?

Ah, good point. I suppose, because it's alien, "pop of colo(u)r" sounds disquietingly ungrammatical to me. Whereas "spalsh of colour" makes perfect sense. But you're right, aren't you - linguistically, they're exactly the same (I think.)

What I do like about the term is that it has a gratifyingly Lichtensteinian quality to it which seems to perfectly convey the idea it aims to suggest.

PS Did any of you have Pop Rocks or Space Dust when you were kids? I loved that stuff. (But I'd be quite distressed if my watermelon behaved in the same manner.)

Posts: 153 | Location: Merrie Olde EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose. Roy L. reborn!

Too old for Pop Rocks or Space Dust, but my kids ate it.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
It sounds like the use of "pop" to describe a "splash" of color is fairly common. I just hadn't heard it.