Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Indice Login/Join

Picture of wordmatic
posted
I've always heard "indices" used as the plural of "index." But just in the last week, I've heard two business commentators on the radio say "indice" in the singular instead of "index." This seems just plain wrong, but I looked it up in a couple of online dictionaries, and apparently it is an obsolete form of "index." Has anyone else heard "indice" used in legitimate speech or writing? Or is it just one announcer following another without anybody looking it up?

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Wordmatic, was it pronounced: in-di-SEE? If so, I believe I have heard it. Now that you mention it, it is rather strange. Maybe that form of the word is coming back.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Wordmatic, was it pronounced: in-di-SEE? If so, I believe I have heard it. Now that you mention it, it is rather strange. Maybe that form of the word is coming back.

No, it was pronounced IN-deh-see. Weird, huh?

P.S. I finally got back to revising that lim. :-)

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I haven't heard it used. My guess is that it's an incorect back-formation from indices.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
In most style guides I've used as a technical writer, index ~ indices refers to mathematical and programmtic indices, while index ~ indexes refers to the alphabetical list of topics at the end of most books. (I am not stating that this is the one an only correct situation, but merely what I have noticed in my line of work.)

On the less serious side, isn't indice the plural of indie?

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Yes, the dictionaries all seem to make that distinction-- indices for plural of technical index and indexes for plural of non-technical ones.

quote:

On the less serious side, isn't indice the plural of indie?

Good one! No, indice is the plural of indouse.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
No, indice is the plural of indouse.

Ah, thank you; now I can sleep at night. And, indousing is not to be confused with outdousing.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't be able to sleep with all those indice skittering around under the bed and between the walls. They nibble at anything, especially your toes. ;-)