Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    word for words having 2 opposed meanings
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

word for words having 2 opposed meanings Login/Join

posted
Is

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jazzboCR,

Posts: 70 | Location: Philly/SJReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
They're usually called auto-antonyms or contranyms. Other examples are enjoin, fast and sanction.

See Wikipedia

Welcome to the board, jazzboCR!

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to Arnie for the quick response. I am most definitely in the right place.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Nice to have you here jazzbo! Welcome and we hope you stay awhile. I am curious about Philly/SJ. Where is that?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in South Jersey, about 20 minutes south of Philadelphia, in a very mixed (by race and income level) but somewhat stultifying suburb.

Picture of wordhigh
posted Hide Post
What about Oxymorons?

Good to have you aboard, jazzboCR!

Some need a word lift, some need a wordhigh.com Web Buffet | My Spirit Name is General Drift, I'm Even Steven | Marcus, mark us/march us | Hollman, man in hole/whole man | House of H | Touch downs or Touch ups

Posts: 3 | Location: Fayetteville, ArkansasReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
An oxymoron is a figure of speech where two apparently contradictory words are put together for effect; sometimes as a joke or pun, sometimes for literary style, sometimes by accident. Usually they are an adjective-noun pair. Examples are Military Intelligence, pretty ugly, less is more, and so on.

They need not necessarily always be two single words; sometimes they are two phrases in juxtaposition.

The word oxymoron comes from Latin, which was derived from the two Greek words for "sharp" and "dull", so is itself an oxymoron.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jazzboCR:
I'm in South Jersey,

Thanks for the clarification. Most who have "SJ" following their name are Jesuits. (Society of Jesus)

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6170 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not exactly the same , as an oxymoron is 2 opposed meanings in the same phrase phrase, but being as I'm an expansive guy and it's a Big Tent, I'll accept that under the general rubric.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
quote:
Originally posted by jazzboCR:
I'm in South Jersey,

Thanks for the clarification. Most who have "SJ" following their name are Jesuits. (Society of Jesus)

...And doubtless there are Jesuitical folks around here.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I suppose I could count. I used to teach at Loyola University...but then I am Jewish, so I don't know. Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post