Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    The invisible worm that flies in the night
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The invisible worm that flies in the night Login/Join

posted
The above is a phrase from Blake's "The Sick Rose." According to a source I recently read, in Blake's time "worm" meant "dragon," or other critter, not just food for robins and moles. Might Blake have been using "worm" metaphorically?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Not sure. I just looked up "worm" in the OED, and in the 1700s one definition was "devil." What is the context?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Sick Rose
BY WILLIAM BLAKE
O Rose thou art sick.
The invisible worm,
That flies in the night
In the howling storm:

Has found out thy bed
Of crimson joy:
And his dark secret love
Does thy life destroy.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
In OE wurm or wyrm meant "serpent, dragon". According to The Online Etymology Dictionary
quote:
The ancient category of these was much more extensive than the modern, scientific, one and included serpents, scorpions, maggots, and the supposed causes of certain diseases.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So this piece is an allegory? It never quite made sense to me before.