Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Is there a word for this?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there a word for this? Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
One of my son's friends said that he was going to throw something into the carcinerator.

Now, is there a word for this? A malaprop is using the wrong word for the context. A mondegreen refers to the misinterpretation of a series of words.

Or, is this kind of word use called just plain stupidity? Razz

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
It would be stupidity if the person using the word didn't know how to use words; it would be ignorance if the person knew how to use words but was unaware that the word used was wrong.

It would be creativity if the person using the word was trying to invent a new word for a concept.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
Well, that's a tad bit extreme. Infants and those who have certain kinds of aphasia are two kinds of people who do not know how to use words. In neither case is it due to stupidity.

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, of course this guy was neither aphasic nor an infant. However, Richard is correct; the precise word is "ignorant."

[I had asked a question here once about the word that meant to use the "precise word." I recently found the answer myself...and now I've forgotten again! Anyone know? But, I digress!]

However, is there a word for mangling a word? "Carcinerator" is not a word.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Kalleh, it may not be a word, but if he were referring to his consumption of known carcinogen, it would seem to be a clever and creative made up word. Where else would one metabolize a carcinogen than down one's gullet?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me like the name of a TV wrestler. You can just hear the commercials:

"Come see The CARCINERATOR!! He beats you so bad, you get cancer!!!"

(And, yes, I know it should be badly but we're talking about a TV wrestling commercial here.)

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I had asked a question here once about the word that meant to use the "precise word." I recently found the answer myself...and now I've forgotten again! Anyone know? But, I digress!

Now I remembered the word I was referring to..."Lethologica - The inability to recall a precise word for something."

Of course this is the inability to recall the precise word, rather than the the ability to find it. But, it is on the right track. Roll Eyes

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Orthologica, perhaps?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post