Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

aglet/aiglet Login/Join

posted
This word is uncommon enough for the Bluffing Game, but I'm too curious about its etymology to use it there. It seems to derive from the Latin word for "needle," and seems to also refer to a heraldic symbol. Can someone help me to thread the etymology a bit better than I've been able to do? Dave Wilton (Wordorigins) doesn't list it, so maybe one of you can help?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Your analysis seems right, Geoff. Here is what the OED says:
quote:
French aiguillette diminutive of aiguille needle < late Latin acūcula , variant of acicula , diminutive of acus needle. The phonetic changes must have been aiguiˈllette , aigueˈlette , aiˈglette , aˈglette , ˈaglĕt /-ət/ , but early instances are wanting: in modern times it has been again made aiglet and aiguillette n.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Boy, learn something new every day. I thought we were talking about birds, but found the etymology of eagle is another Latin word, aquila. I had confused the two similar French words "aigle" and "aiguille"-- & somewhere in the back of my mind, was associating the sharp vision of the 'eagle-eyed'.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
you know, as in: "it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of an eagle..." Roll Eyes

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Eagles don't smoke Camels, or Marlboros, but if you offered a smoked salmon, probably.

Someone on another site (A model airplane site, of all places!) wondered if the "needle" business might harken back to a PIE word for "quill," since the bit on the end of a shoelace could be made from the needle-like attachment end of a feather.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

<Proofreader>
posted
"Aglets" made me think -- when was the last time you heard someone say they needed to put on their galoshes?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's been a while! And how about putting on their rubbers?

<Proofreader>
posted
Those have migrated from the feet to other locations.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
A song celebrating the aglet:

http://youtu.be/Evcsj1gx1CE

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
It's been a while! And how about putting on their rubbers?

Or overshoes.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
late Latin acūcula , variant of acicula , diminutive of acus needle

An interesting double diminutive: Latin acus 'needle' + -Vc- (diminutive suffix) + -Vl- (a different diminutive suffix). Cf. homunculus 'manikin', amiculus 'a pet friend, crony', calculus 'small stone, pebble', etc.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post