Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A trashy inquiry Login/Join

posted
Heretofore I had only thought of "junk" as being scrap material, but lately I've heard people referring to their genitals as junk. While theirs may well be junk in in the original sense, it seems curious that they would openly admit it.
Also, if their genitals are junk, what must they think of junk food? Confused

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6170 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
It's about 20 years old, and it's mainly used for male genitalia. The linguist Arnold Zwicky had a post about it (link) and he mentions other refernces, including a discussion on the American Dialect Society list. The way I've heard it used, it seems to refer to the whole package. HTH.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I've heard it used but when I was young we referred to the genitals as "That-Which-Cannot-Be-Mentioned" while after I got married it became "Thing-That-Cannot-Be-Touched".

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Wow, I've not heard it before. So much to learn; so little time.

z's link helped for understanding the use of the term on a number of levels:
quote:
trashy alternative to “the family jewels”
and
quote:
Unlike these other terms, however, junk is a harsh monosyllable evocative of four-letter taboos.
and
quote:
“Junk” is even better than “stuff” for this purpose, since though both are monosyllables with the vowel of “fuck”, “junk” has the final k, so it sounds a bit more sexual but is still an innocent ordinary word (unlike “shit”, which has the ‘stuff, belongings’ sense, but is a taboo word).

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
trashy alternative to “the family jewels”

I first heard this term while in basic training. The NCO in charge of our barrracks warned everyone on the top bunk to be "very careful you don't catch the family jewels between the mattress and the spring when you jump off the top." It still sends chills up my spine when I think of the consequences of that action.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Clearly I watch different movies and TV than you do, because this term seems very common to me. I've heard it used for several years now, and the kids/teens in my urban library use the term.

I am certain it is used in Rap and Hip Hop, also. It's a very rhythmic/rhyming sort of word.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, well, I guess I've lead a sheltered life...
Does the expression, "junk in her trunk" mean she's having sex? Confused I thought it meant she had a big butt. Or am I a few years behind the times?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6170 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Or..."junk" drawer? Wink

I, too, have led a sheltered life, I guess, Geoff.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post