Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Psychic capital Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
This is a new term to me, supposedly originated by economist Kenneth Boulding (Yes, Richard, he was born in the UK) Wink Does it differ from the idea of karma in any substantial way?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of the Psychic Capital before, but it must be in California.
One of the minor culture differences between the Midwest and the west coast is the number of storefront neon Psychic Readers. It was something I had never seen in Wisconsin.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ah, neveu, as one who visits my father regularly in Wisconsin, I can say that they exist now. In fact, I seem to remember them when I was at the university, but then universities often are on the outer edges, I know.

I have heard of psychic captital, but karma is more common. BTW, Asa, while Boulding was born in the UK, it's interesting to note that he was granted U.S. citizenship in 1948 and taught at the University of Michigan and the University of Colorado. So, in the end, he did move across the pond.

According to Wikipedia, with psychic capital it's the accumulation of a desirable mental state. While I don't know much about either karma or psychic capital, they do sound quite similar.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by neveu:
I've never heard of the Psychic Capital before, but it must be in California.
One of the minor culture differences between the Midwest and the west coast is the number of storefront neon Psychic Readers. It was something I had never seen in Wisconsin.

Big Grin
Whereas here in the East-- at least in the larger cities-- we have ever had our gypsies. All that's changed is the shingle (used to say, "Read your Palm").

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Asa Lovejoy:
This is a new term to me, supposedly originated by economist Kenneth Boulding (Yes, Richard, he was born in the UK) Wink Does it differ from the idea of karma in any substantial way?

It figures that an economist would have to translate the hindi into cubicle-jargon or risk being laughed out of the office.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post