Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Glint, glisten, glitter, gleam …
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glint, glisten, glitter, gleam … Login/Join

Picture of arnie
posted
This is from The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett:
quote:
Glint, glisten, glitter, gleam … Tiffany thought a lot about words, in the long hours of churning butter. ‘Onomatopoeic’, she’d discovered in the dictionary, meant words that sounded like the noise of the thing they were describing, like ‘cuckoo’. But she thought there should be a word meaning ‘a word that sounds like the noise a thing would make if that thing made a noise even though, actually, it doesn’t, but would if it did’. Glint, for example. If light made a noise as it reflected off a distant window, it’d go ‘glint!’ And the light of tinsel, all those little glints chiming together, would make a noise like ‘glitterglitter’. ‘Gleam’ was a clean, smooth noise from a surface that intended to shine all day. And ‘glisten’ was the soft, almost greasy sound of something rich and oily.

Is there a word that describes such a thing?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love that book.

The word is phonestheme or ideophone, which I wrote about a few years ago.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ah, but not here, goofy. Wink

In reading your links, it seems to me that ideophone might be the best word, but then who am I to know.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Interesting that we both spotted the same passage in the the book, goofy. I like ideophone as well.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think gl- is a phonestheme denoting light in Germanic languages. The words themselves, glint glisten glitter etc, are ideophones.

quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Ah, but not here, goofy. Wink

No, I didn't mean to suggest that you should have known this or anything. I was just stating that I blogged about it.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
No, I was just teasing you about not posting it here. You know me...always protective of our Wordcraft!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post