Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elide Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Elide means to slur over in pronunciation or to strike out something that is written.

However, I haven't seen it used as I saw it today:

"...Republicans have so successfully turned 'liberal' into a four lettered wrod that even liberals tend to shun the term and elide their own proud history."

Now, I do see that it can mean "To eliminate or leave out of consideration," so it is used correctly. I just haven't seen it used that way, have you? Is it more a general word than I have thought? I had always thought it to be more of a technical word.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aput
posted Hide Post
I've only ever seen it in the phonetic sense, but the dictionary says it can mean 'strike out, suppress'. I hadn't made the connexion with 'collide': the root is 'strike'.

Posts: 502 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I can't bring to mind an example, but I have certainly seen "elide" used in the way Kalleh mentions, in addition to its use phonetically.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 'strike out, suppress' sense of the word came out strongly in early March this year:
quote:
When David Kay walked into the US Senate in late January, the question of Iraq's weapons of mass destruction had become entangled in a thick forest of evasions, euphemisms and elisions.
From Guardian Unlimited

The expression "evasions, euphemisms and elisions" had a ring to it and inspired a limerick. (Probably too political to include here.)

Posts: 133 | Location: Melbourne, AustraliaReply With QuoteReport This Post