Tools

3 words - foreign or not Login/Join

Picture of Chris J. Strolin
posted
Allow me to toss out three words:

Andante
Comandante
Picante

Without first checking with any dictionary, which (if any) of these words are English and which are not. It's a shady area in my opinion so there may not be a firm correct answer, one way or the other. I'm just looking for your opinions.

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
This is a tricky question, largely because there are so many words in our everyday lexicon that have close foreign origins that it's hard to delineate. I'll play your little game, though . . .

none?

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
They all look OK to me. Are you trying to get them exiled? Are they terrorizing other more Saxon words? Is this a disguised poll?

It's interesting how comandante and commendatore have different numbers of ms.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jheem,

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I'd say andante has become an English word, from the Italian. Comandante is a Spanish (?) military rank, and so is not English. Picante is also Spanish (I think), but the word used in English is piquant, which comes from the French.

One out of three in my opinion, although I feel sure they probably all appear in some dictionaries.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I am taking a third view. I use the word "picante" when cooking and would have to consider it a legitimate English word, in the same way as "mousse" is. Surely "andante" is a legitimate English word used in music. Now, "comandante" is only in the infoplease dictionary in onelook (the others are in various dictionaries) so I don't feel bad saying that is not an English word.

It is an interesting question, though...and one I have had for awhile about a certain "S" word (for newbies, I am referring to "schadenfreude," but I don't want to be too loud about it because that discussion can cause quite a stir! Wink)

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
Comandante is a Spanish (?) military rank

Comandante and commendatore are both Italian words. Comandante is also a Spanish word. I hear people use picante more often than piquant out here on the ede of civilisation in California. And they were speaking English at the times I hear it.

Now, "comandante" is only in the infoplease dictionary in onelook (the others are in various dictionaries) so I don't feel bad saying that is not an English word.

So, I guess you've changed your mind about the e-word as well.

Now, piano: there's a word that ain't English. Not too happy about salsa either. Wink

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
only in the infoplease dictionary in onelook (the others are in various dictionaries)
Hey! You weren't supposed to look them up! Red Face

Interesting about picante/piquant. I assume the Spanish version is better known in the USA because of the Mexican/Latin American influence. It is pretty well unknown here. In fact, I'd say many people would assume it's a misspelling of piquant. Since many gastronomes reckon that French cuisine is supreme, piquant ought to be the word used, IMO. Big Grin

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
arnie, I only looked them up after I made my decision about them...but I guess I ruined it for everyone else, didn't I? Red Face Sorry!

So, I guess you've changed your mind about the e-word as well.

Now, now, not so fast, jheem. There are extenuating circumstances with the e-word. (For you newbies, we are talking about an ongoing disagreement I have with the rest of wordcraft; that is, I think 'epicaricacy' should be a word. I had thought of coming on the chat as "Eppie Caricacy," but thought that might give me away! Wink)

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post