Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Celebreality Login/Join

posted
"Celebreality" (suh.LEB.ree.al.uh.tee) is a rather newly coined word, referring to reality television shows that feature celebrities. Dictionary.com gives its year of origin as 1991. I was guessing the first season of "The Osbournes" may have begun its usage, but it looks like that show didn't air till 2001.

Has anyone else heard "celebreality"?

posted Hide Post
It is used extensively in the marketing for Vh1. I don't really think I've heard it in any other context.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I haven't heard of the word. Here is a Word Spy discussion of it.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I like the word, but don't even like the idea of the shows. I've heard it used, though.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I don't ever watch those reality shows either, so that's probably why I hadn't heard of it. I can't, for the life of me, see how those shows can appeal to people.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't, for the life of me, see how those shows can appeal to people.

I can understand why they would appeal to the participants - all that free publicity and potential financial benefits!

The winner of a recent reality programme here (it was on the national news) has apparently received newspaper contracts already for over half a million pounds. Not bad for a little bit of exhibitionism.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post