Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Phonetic Pronunciations Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
On the chat today we were talking about odd phonetic pronunciations, such as ghoti bowl, for fish bowl; Ghoti bowl used to be a member of our community. Is there a specific word for that concept? What other ones are there?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is there a specific word for that concept?

Yes. It's called "English spelling and pronunciation" Wink

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I know you're being facetious, but I meant is there a word for a completely non-intuitive spelling of a word, such as "ghoti" for "fish." There probably isn't, and I sure don't think every concept in the world needs a specific word, but I just wondered. Apparently "ghoti" has been around for awhile, so I am sure there are other words like that.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Apparently "ghoti" has been around for awhile, so I am sure there are other words like that.

Loads of them - ghoughphtheightteeau for example* (mouse over)

* potato
gh = ‘p’ as in hiccough
ough =‘o’ as in dough
phth =‘t’ as in phthisis
eigh = ‘a’ as in neighbour
tte = ‘t’ as in gazette
eau = ‘o’ as in plateau

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, my only nit to pick is that I thought "hiccough" was pronounced like "cough" and that "hiccup" was the spelling when you pronounced it as "cup."

Interesting, though. It looks like a German word!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, my only nit to pick is that I thought "hiccough" was pronounced like "cough" and that "hiccup" was the spelling when you pronounced it as "cup."

That is indeed the case in US English. We don't use "hiccup" in UK English.

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ah. So that word doesn't work for us.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Kalleh--

RE: ghoti & ghoughphtheightteeau --

This would be fun as a guessing game in Wordplay... that is, if it's not a commonplace concept for others. I'd never thought or heard of it (but ahem, that doesn't mean much!)

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
When I saw the thread title I immediately thought of the famous Victor Borge routine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF4qii8S3gw

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I agree, Bethree. It would be a great Wordplay game.