Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Urban Dictionary? Login/Join

posted

Question:
Do folks here consider Urban Dictionary to be a reasonably reliable source, in the sense that phrases there can usually be considered properly defined and common enough to be "recognized"?

Choices:
Yes
No
No opinion - I plead ignorance
Mixed opinion

posted Hide Post
The erudite and hoity-toity amongst us deplore UD. As with any such open site, many entries are questionable. However, UD is often first to pick up on a neologism. The more entries that agree with one another and a preponderance of thumbs-up are pretty good indicators

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I voted no, not because I'm erudite or hoity-toity*, but because if me and a couple of my like-minded friends decided to perpetrate the hoax that "splook" was a slang term for the genitalia of a penguin it would be easy to get it on there with several people apparently independently confirming it and in six months you would probably be posting here asking if anyone could help you out with citations for it. A quick browse through reveals that there are an awful lot of "questionable" entries and no way to determine whether they are a) real, b) mistaken or c) malicious hoaxes.

In my view that makes it a bad reference source.

(* Although I like to think of myself as reasonably erudite I think it's genetically impossible for a working-class lad from the Black Country to be hoity-toity.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Been called a lot of things, but hoity-toity, never. I've never really used it. I start most lexicographical expeditions with dead-tree wordhoards, before moving on to Google and the A-H and M-W online dictionaries. But then I'm not that concerned with cutting edge coinages.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I have found some helpful definitions there, having gone to look specifically for some word that I've heard on the street. Would I trust it completely? No - it's too variable.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
if me and a couple of my like-minded friends decided to perpetrate the hoax that "splook" was a slang term for the genitalia of a penguin

Turns out I'm not so far "wrong" according to the Urban Dictionary which says

quote:
1. Splook

When your penis fires out its sperm after you masterbate.

I Splooked so hard there were spider webs in my room!!

by Maggot666 Feb 17, 2005 email it

And thus neatly illustrates my point about anybody getting anything in. I cannot find a single internet reference to this word in anything like this sense. Virtually all of them refer to the computer command SPLook.

Considering I made the word up this morning and only just thought to look it up (and I promise you I didn't enter it there myself), I think this comments adequately on the reliability of the UD as a reference source.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Incidentally here are the UD's first ten definitions for "penguin." There are 47 altogether and all of them have the same degree of plausibility as these. (Also worth noting that many of these have a good number of thumbs-ups.)

quote:
1. Penguin

When a woman gives a man a blowjob, and just before climax, she walks away. The man then follows her, waddling with his pants around his ankles, begging her to come back.

The bastard pissed me off, so I gave him a penguin.

2. penguin An extremely cool bird that will kill all who do not absolutly love it and has the potential to invent space travel and wish to establish a colony on Pluto

"the penguins have launched several thousand AM-Bombs around the world after extracting their supporters. We're all fucking screwed."

3. Penguin

1. A small, black and white, sexy aquatic flightless bird.

2. A rich guy who wears a tux everwhere..one whose ass must be kicked.

3. An idiotic character from the TV show Batman, who makes long ass schemes such as "i burn you slowly with a magnifying glass" to kill people instead of just shooting their ass. He has his very own asshat

1. That penguin was too busy being swarmed by women to talk to.

2. I kicked that penguins ass and stole his girlfriend.

3. Trever Clement is almost as gay as the Penguin.

4. Penguin
(n.)small aquatic bird that I want as a pet to swim through my foyer once I own a gigantic manshion;

"Don't mind the penguin. He's just for show."

5. A penguin is one of the two magical creatures of Earth. They are extremely skilled at martial arts and are reliable agents of espionage. Penguins can traverse quickly through the water and are unaffected by sub-arctic temperatures. Penguins claim to be the original pioneers of space travel.

That penguin CAN fly!

6. penguin

1)The creature you can steal from Antartica without authorities noticing.
2)Mascot of Linus Torvalds

1) you stole my penguin!!!
2) w00t!!! look at that penguin go!

7. Penguin

IT'S FLUFFY BIRD NOT A FUCKING BLOW JOB. Sometimes it eats popcorn in the morning. And sometims it wears a WIMPLE ON ITS ICY HEAD.

The penguin ate the birdseed with popcorn.

8. Penguin

The most powerfull and potent creature on the face of the Earth. Bent on controlling the worlds major vacum factories....... they want the world too... And the cheese-flavoured fish.

seal: that penguin just schooled me!
or
how many penguins does it take to destroy all humans? One, cuz they can rock anyone's socks.

9. Penguin

A really cute waddling bird who lives in the icey south! He can't fly but swims and glides through ice really well! Penguins look as if they are wearing tuxedos and waddle!! they are so adorable!

Aww! The penguin just slid down the ice berg and hit the other penguin!

10. penguin

a member of the group of "birds" known as penguins. in reality they are an evil race of aliens who have been in hiding but will soon rise up and enslave or kill all humans.

Holy shit! That penguin just killed Dave! They're attacking!

Does this strike you as in any way resembling an actual dictionary?

Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, I rest my case.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

posted Hide Post
Bob: Point well taken. You must have spent a while making it

I should have added that when unsure it's wise to get confirmation from other sources, eg

Sex DictionaryPenguin Blow This happens when a hooker offers to blow you for five dollars. Of course you accept the offer and remove your pants. She gets on her knees, ...
asel00.tripod.com/id19.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dalehileman,

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dalehileman:
Bob: Point well taken. You must have spent a while making it

Thirty seconds with cut and paste and about a minute removing the bits that didn't paste well like the names and the thumbs up/down symbols.

And about five minutes eliminating things from the google hits for "splook".

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I'm with Bob on this one.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post