Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which is it? Login/Join

<Proofreader>
posted
On several occasions recently I've heard people say "The gig is up." I'd always thought it to be "The jig is up." Which is correct?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always heard jig, assuming it referred to a dance.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I've only heard "jig", as well. Dictionary.com has an entry.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Another question: My wife (who's Italian) refers to the tomato concoction she spreads on spaghetti as red gravy. I've always called it "tomato sauce." What do you call it?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I say "the jig is up," and I call it "tomato sauce." I've not heard it called "red gravy." Where is your wife from?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always heard it as jig and assumed it derives from the dance, but Dictionary.com, M-W and the OED Online all say it is derived from the "trick" definition.

Dictionary.com
quote:
Word Origin & History
jig
"lively dance," c.1560, perhaps related to M.Fr. giguer "to dance," or to the source of Ger. Geige "violin." Meaning "piece of sport, trick" is 1592, now mainly in phrase the jig is up (first attested 1777 as the jig is over ).

M-W
quote:
2: trick, game —used chiefly in the phrase the jig is up.

OED Online
quote:
5. A piece of sport, a joke; a jesting matter, a trifle; a sportive trick or cheat. the jig is up (or over) = ‘the game is up’, it is all over. Now dial. or slang.

Here's an interesting explanation I've never seen before. Although it gives "Webster's" as the source, I can't find it.
quote:
Alternative: Webster's gives the origin of the word "jig" as a transliteration of an Old French word defined as "frolic" (c. 17th-18th century). Hence, "jig" is referred to as a dance, not a game. In the 18th century British Navy, the captain of the ship held the power of life or death over the crew of his ship. For certain offenses he could impose the death penalty. That penalty was carried out as follows: a line was thrown over the lowest yardarm, tied 'round the offender's neck. No blindfold, no feet or hands tied. At the command "take him up" two or three crewmen hoisted the man up and he writhed, jerked and twitched as he strangled to death. His feet and legs especially jumped about. He literally danced at the end of the rope. The crew of the ship were interested but not all were assembled as witnesses. Some of the crew had to remain on station to sail the ship. The word was passed: “the jig is up”. All hands were thus informed that the sentence had been carried out.

Red gravy can refer to red-eye gravy, "a gravy made from the pan juices of fried country ham, thickened with flour and sometimes containing coffee for color and flavor" (Dictionary.com). It's common in Southern U.S. cooking. Wikipedia has a short article on it, which includes variations and the meaning of the term "red-eye." Check out the references and the external link.

Red gravy can also refer to tomato sauce by "Italian-Americans on the East Coast" or to tomato gravy,"a sauce common in most rural areas of the United States" (Wikipedia). Here's a recipe for New Orleans Red Gravy.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tinman,

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I thought it might have been a regional affectation but as far south as New Orleans?
The reason I asked was she told me to pick up sme gravy at the store. I brought home some beef gravy but she said, "No, I wanted red."

posted Hide Post
Have you got a sharp knife handy? Big Grin

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post