Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Judas Priest! Login/Join

posted
Is there a name for expressions like Judas Priest, Goshdarn, frickin' and other substitutions for expletives and curses more specific than 'euphemism'?

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Good question! I Googled a bit, looking for something, and while I found a lot of interesting sites on swearing (including an interesting discussion of "deplorable words" on Languagehat), I couldn't find the word you're looking for.

I did find this funny story on Phrase Finder that is halfway related:

"As an aside, and because I am a compulsive story-teller, I have to relate the oddest use of a euphemism for swearing I've come across. In high school, there was a very large girl - think 6'3" - from somewhere down South. As if to make up for her stature, she was ultra feminine, dressing in copious layers of pink chiffon. She never swore openly but gritted her teeth and exclaimed 'Well Sugar, Honey, Ice, Tea!'"

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I am reminded of a Texas school, the Sam Houston Institute of Technology.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
It'll never replace Jim McCawley's (aka Quang Phuc Dong) South Hanoi Institute of Technology.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it's a common enough phenomenon that it should have a name. If it doesn't turn up soon, I suggest we coin one.

posted Hide Post
Excellent idea, neveu.

I started with malediction and then looked for latinate prefixes that mean "to clean up". Possibilities found are tersus: wiped off, clean, neat; excurare: clean off; purus: pure, clean; cluere: to cleanse. These would give us tersidiction, excuradiction, purudiction, and cluerdiction, none of which particularly strike my personal fancy.

Ah, but how about purgadiction, based on purgare: cleanse, purify. Its sound gives a clue to the meaning, echoing the word purge, which is from the same root, and which implies "getting the sh*t out".

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
(aka Quang Phuc Dong)

Didn't he have a sister named Long Suk Dong?

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:

Ah, but how about [i]purgadiction

Sounds like talk about vomit.

posted Hide Post
Surely some 19th Century German linguist must have named it something -- deschiessenwortemachen or something.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I don't quite see what's wrong with euphemism. There is a linguistic process called taboo deformation. I have always heard expressions like dog gone and cripes described as euphemisms. Why do you need this new word?

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Why do you need this new word?

Because I'm sure it exists, and because euphemism is too broad. Every language seems to have a set of forbidden words, and an associated set of words that stand for these words, and everyone knows they stand for these words, but it's ok for Mom to say them. Euphemism can mean using "passed on" for "died", but it's ok for Mom to just say "died".

Maybe taboo deformation is what I'm looking for. Or maybe euphemism is the word I'm looking for, but its definition has been broadened to cover more territory.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Because I'm sure it exists, and because euphemism is too broad.

Well, good luck.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why do you need this new word?

I had a feeling that would be Zmj's stance on this. Wink

To be honest, I hate euphemisms. The "passed on" or "passed away" or "passed" for "died" annoys me no end. Or all the euphemisms about going to the bathroom, or whatever, are just plain annoying to me.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post